• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

quite a coincidence

napa 1

Donation Time
I just ran across this picture again, so thought I'd share it with everyone. This is a picture of my life long best friend Joanna Mackie in my garage standing beside the car her grandfather built. I didn't know until long after I bought the car, and was telling her about it over the phone one day (we live far apart now), that her grandfather is Henry Harrington. (Clive is her cousin). She showed me a great picture on her mom's living room wall of her grandfather standing beside a Le Mans in a company publicity photo.
small world? planets aligning? fate? strange coincidence?

Attachments

• joanna.jpg
    joanna.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 122

napa 1

Donation Time
Wow, you're right Kevin, I never thought of that.. I could be a Harrington, John Harrington, I like the sound of that.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Wait, this is great. But, I'm confused. Did you buy the car from her? Or did you happen to buy a Harrington and she just mentions that her grandfather built it and you didn't really understand what she was saying until now? If it was a family car, anything else special about it? What a beautiful car - love the black and red. Are there more pictures here?

napa 1

Donation Time
I became interested in, and bought the car to restore, not knowing that her family had anything to do with Sunbeams. We were talking one day and I started telling her about the Harrington, and she said you mean as in "Thomas Harrington in England"? He was my great grandfather." And Henry Harrington who oversaw the Le Mans project, was her grandfather. Joanna's father worked for Harrington, stayed in the car business and was president of Jaguar Canada when I knew him.

napa 1

Donation Time
John mackie, Joanna's father worked for Harrington and then went on to become president of jaguar Canada. Also i Should have made it clear that Joanna's grandfathers first name was Gordon, not Henry, but he was Gordon, HENRY Harrington, and joanna said they used to call him Henry. By lemans project i was referrring to Harrington's involvement in the sunbeam Harrington lemans production car which Joanna's family says Gordon was very involved in..... rather than the Le Mans race car. They have some great photos of Gordon with the Le Mans introduction cars etc.