• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Q4 engine and tranny install pics

skywords

Donation Time
The wife and I put the engine in and then were able to easily install the transmission with the engine in place. Lots of clearance where needed. Tommorrows fun fabricate the tranny mount. This engine tranny package fits like it was made for the car.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Rick,

Great job you and your wife did getting the engine in. Looks like things are going well. Make sure you keep us all posted with your progress (looking forward to seeing the finished product).

P.S great use of the kids skateboard.

Regards, Robin.

miket

Donation Time
Does your wife have a sister? Just kidding!!

Rick, looks great. Ignore the question in the other post.

My tranny is probably an inch or two further back that yours.

Looking forward to a few more pics.

Mike

A

Adiabatic

Looks great, can you post more info about the engine tranny combo and what it took to get it in the car. Any expected problems with the steering box and headers?

Andy

O

odl21

wow. this should be really nice. what is the engine from? is it one of the later DOHC versions? isn't that about 170hp? should be a fair bit faster than a cologne v6 alpine. are you keeping the alpine rear end and brakes?

skywords

Donation Time
Looks great, can you post more info about the engine tranny combo and what it took to get it in the car. Any expected problems with the steering box and headers?

Andy

The tunnel was the standard T-5 widening job. The mounts were fabricated from 1/8" 4130 plate and uses the stock cross member without any mods and uses the stock engine mount rubbers, You can find in a previuos post pictures of the mounts. Steering box is clear as is the center steering link. The biggest problem is the intake and exhaust manifolds will have to custom made. The intake is on the left side and the exhaust on the right will cross over to the left side of car for the tunnel in the crusiform frame.

wow. this should be really nice. what is the engine from? is it one of the later DOHC versions? isn't that about 170hp? should be a fair bit faster than a cologne v6 alpine. are you keeping the alpine rear end and brakes?

The engine is a GM Quad 4 DOHC Vin A rated at 180 hp, I hope I can keep that HP with the custom intake and exhaust manifold. I am using the stock rear end and brakes and hope the ratios will be acceptable, I will go to the ford or Tiger rear end if I have to. I would swing toward the Tiger rear end to inable running stock wheels. The Tiger rear ends are very scarce and spendy. The engine is from the Chevy Baretta front wheel drive. I am using the Manta conversion bellhousing and McLeod hydraulic throw out bearing for rear wheel drive.

Thanks for the kind words.

fj55mike

Donation Time
Looking good, skywords.

I'm very interested in seeing how you do the intake and exhaust. Do you plan on keeping or modifying the fender to firewall braces?

Also, did you have any trouble clearing the steering? What about shifter location?

--Mike

skywords

Donation Time
Looking good, skywords.

I'm very interested in seeing how you do the intake and exhaust. Do you plan on keeping or modifying the fender to firewall braces?

Also, did you have any trouble clearing the steering? What about shifter location?

--Mike

I think I can keep the braces, intake side is unknown at this point. I will modify the brace if I have to. Shifter local can be seen in the above pics, I think it is a few inches aft of stock.

miket

Donation Time
Interesting, my T5 tailhousing meets the main box almost exactly ove rthe center of the Alpine crossmember.

look at that, I'm looking at at catalog showing the alpine tranny mount. That's the ticket!!

Rick, please post a photo of your crossmember is you can.

thanks

skywords

Donation Time
Interesting, my T5 tailhousing meets the main box almost exactly ove rthe center of the Alpine crossmember.

look at that, I'm looking at at catalog showing the alpine tranny mount. That's the ticket!!

Rick, please post a photo of your crossmember is you can.

thanks

If your T-5 is like you say a few inches aft then you are in better shape to use the stock mount than I am. My split line is a few inches forward of the tranny crossmember (lucky you). I think if you make spacers to lower the crossmember from the four bolt brackets welded to the body/frame you can modify the upper portion of the mount to pick up two or three of the split line bolts, of course the upper portion needs to be trimmed considerably. Also the eight mounting holes in the tranny crossmember will have to be elongated to accept the change in geometry for the bolts are not parallel to the vertcal axis of the car they point inward. The further from its oringinal hieght the more the holes will be off but it's doable with large area washers.

May I suggest making a template using thin aluminum that is easily cut and when you get what you want simply scribe onto the steel piece. The edge distances on the mounting holes at the split line will have to be carefully done for there is not alot of room to work with. If you require short spacers between the mount and tranny all the better for it will allow for more edge distances. Note edge distance is the amount of material from the edge of the hole to the edge of the part. All this advise is given not being there and you need to take it with a grain of salt if you know what I mean. Your installation is a bit different than mine. Measure three times and cut once.

miket

Donation Time
Actually I just picked up some 1/2" aluminum plate yesterday from which I could make excellent spacers.

It would be nice if I could find the upper mount section.

good luck,

Mike

M

mvmartin

Me and my friend we're going through this particular post to see what the Quad 4 looks like in the Sunbeam. However there are no pictures. Anybody have any? He's thinking about finding a Sunbeam and is interested in this swap. Thanks.

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
The wife and I put the engine in and then were able to easily install the transmission with the engine in place. Lots of clearance where needed. Tommorrows fun fabricate the tranny mount. This engine tranny package fits like it was made for the car.

Where are the pictures?

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Pictures, Pictures, Pictures

Yes, I'd like to see them too.

Yes, I was starting to wonder if I was not signed in or that there may be a missing link (besides myself as at times I am missing a link or two).
Is it possible to see some photos?

If you are unable to post the images please forward them to me and I will do the magic on this end. Give me a PM and I will provide the address to email them.

Regards,
Andrew