• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Putting the head back on

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I just dropped a spare rad off at a local place and am going to have it recored. I really don't have overheating issues but figured it wouldn't hurt to spend a little extra for the peace of mind of a new, more efficient core. It will be ready before I leave for WI, so I should have it for the Invasion. I'll have a 60 mile drive on Friday with the old one, but should be fine.

But, as I was driving to work from the shop I started thinking again about block sealer. I am afraid that I don't have complete confidence that the radiator is the whole problem. Given that I will be putting a new rad in, I was thinking about using the block/head sealer before I install the new radiator. Belt and braces, as the Brits say. Any thoughts on this idea? Any recommendations on a good one?

Thanks.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I would not install a block or rad sealer unless it was a last ditch effort.

These sealers tend to reduce the effectivity of the cooling system by coating the tubes with goo.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
That was why I was thinking of doing it before I replaced the radiator. It seemed like a good extra check given all the time I have spent on this over the last few months, but I will defer to better educated and less frustrated minds.

Thanks.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
putting head back on

I would agree with Rootes Racer. Stop leak is the last resort. Give the radiator fix a chance. I would also highly recommend upgrading to a 3 row core design - it is some of the best $$ I ever spent on an Alpine.

Best of Luck!

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Todd. I am upgrading the radiator while I am at it, even though I have never really had an overheating problem. Except, of course, when I run low on coolant. :)