1. Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible.

Enjoy.

Dismiss Notice

Putting the head back on

Discussion in '"Stock" Alpine' started by Alpine 1789, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Alpine 1789

Alpine 1789 SAOCA President Platinum Level Sponsor

I just dropped a spare rad off at a local place and am going to have it recored. I really don't have overheating issues but figured it wouldn't hurt to spend a little extra for the peace of mind of a new, more efficient core. It will be ready before I leave for WI, so I should have it for the Invasion. I'll have a 60 mile drive on Friday with the old one, but should be fine.

But, as I was driving to work from the shop I started thinking again about block sealer. I am afraid that I don't have complete confidence that the radiator is the whole problem. Given that I will be putting a new rad in, I was thinking about using the block/head sealer before I install the new radiator. Belt and braces, as the Brits say. Any thoughts on this idea? Any recommendations on a good one?

Thanks.

2. RootesRacer

RootesRacer Donation Time

I would not install a block or rad sealer unless it was a last ditch effort.

These sealers tend to reduce the effectivity of the cooling system by coating the tubes with goo.

3. Alpine 1789

That was why I was thinking of doing it before I replaced the radiator. It seemed like a good extra check given all the time I have spent on this over the last few months, but I will defer to better educated and less frustrated minds.

Thanks.

4. todd reid

todd reid Gold Level Sponsor

putting head back on

I would agree with Rootes Racer. Stop leak is the last resort. Give the radiator fix a chance. I would also highly recommend upgrading to a 3 row core design - it is some of the best $$ I ever spent on an Alpine.

Best of Luck!

5. Alpine 1789

Thanks Todd. I am upgrading the radiator while I am at it, even though I have never really had an overheating problem. Except, of course, when I run low on coolant. :)