• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Purpose of this Forum ???

Sownman

Donation Time
I enjoy and appreciate the SAOCA forum. Good resource for all Sunbeam owners. I don't however care for this part of the board. If I run across a needed part on eBay or Craigs because I search daily I don't like it when some guy who doesn't really care one way or the other causes me to pay more because he pointed out the left side widget for sale increasing interest and cost for the item.

Can we delete this Forum please ? :) Yes I am somewhat serious.

Steve

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
The purpose of this forum was because we had many helpful members posting links to ebay, notifying the rest of us of great parts that we may have missed. It was just a way to collect all those postings into one area.

I was just thinking the other day about expanding it for other areas like Craigs List.

As for deleting it, I'll consider whatever the majority opinion is, but you are the first to voice this concern.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Keep it.

For what it's worth, I'll jump in.

Keep it. Because of the different ways people list things I find that the more eyes on these auction sites, the better. I may not need something but another member might and not have seen it. We do it to support each other.

If it's our intention to keep them on the road then we need to support each other. I appreciate it when other members list things I may need. A few months ago some one notified us that there were Capri valve covers recently listed. Having lost several bids in the past I elected to do the buy it now and get it over with. I may have paid a bit over market, but I figured if I waited til the time I need them I wouldn't find them or the market for them would be higher anyway. I figured I saved myself a bunch of time and agravation.

In my experience, e-bay is the easiest way, but the most expensive way to buy used parts for our cars, but all auctions are. If you want deals, you need to work and search which is the hard way. Deals are out there.

On a side tangent, I prefer to buy what I can find whether I need it or not, and trade it for items I need. (That's not to say I won't sell a part to help a fellow enthusuiast. And no, I don't believe in gouging. Small community. It will bounce back and bite you.) I learned that when I was restoring BMW Motorcycles. When I was traveling the South/Southwest I would stop into dealers that had canceled their BMW franchises and I'd buy out their remaining parts inventory. I recently bought a fellow's parts (from Wisconsin) rather than have him throw them out.

When I get deeper into this new project, I'll be offering items for trade. For example, I have two Offenhauser manifolds on the shelf. (Only need one. But I need a bunch of trim parts.)

OK. That's my take. I'll get off my soapbox now.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
causes me to pay more because he pointed out the left side widget for sale increasing interest and cost for the item.
Steve

No one's forcing you to bid over what you are willing to pay. I have posted items here, because I know others are looking for them. I have also posted links to other vendors that I have found because they are a source for parts that others are looking for. And heaven forbid that the value of our cars should go up because of increased interest.

RootesRich

Donation Time
Keep this Forum and expand to include Craig's list (although links are already being posted). I really like seeing what's posted, especially overseas as I don't get to check out the UK or OZ E-bay sites much.

I'm hard pressed to think that posting a link to an E-bay auction is causing bidding wars between our users and running up prices. Maybe I'm wrong? However, before I'll enter a bid on E-bay, I always check with twautomotive to see if he has the part I need or call Rick at SS. I've bought used parts from both those guys that I've seen go for 3X the amount on E-bay.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
E-Bay UK

I just got a "used" SV tail light from a guy in the UK... It is better than the ones on my current car. I asked him to find me a second. :D

mikephillips

Donation Time
Keep it. I too don't believe this forum causes any significant increase in the price being paid in Ebay or other for sale sites. Most folks already know about them so posting a heads up probably is only alearting someone who would have found it anyway.

Sownman

Donation Time
An issue being a Book of Norman which was not properly listed and was getting only slight attention. Then after appearing here as "Book of Norman on EBAY" it becames as they usually do, unaffordable. Did the post here cause the bidding to increase ? Who knows but it certainly didn't cause people to stay away.

This has nothing to do with helping each other keep our cars on the road or with value of Sunbeam cars. It has to do with letting people who do the legwork and constantly search nooks and crannies sometimes find a bargin.

If a member here asks "anyone know where I can find a set of valve covers" then answering helpfully is certaing fine. I'm talking about a post "Great Lat valve covers on EBAY" attracting 5 or 6 bidders where there may "naturally" have only been 1 or 2 guys who noticed it. Obviously nobody sees it the same as I do.

Steve

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
I would like to keep this section of the site. I do not think it drives prices up.

As for price I would always recommend researching prices before bidding.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
An issue being a Book of Norman which was not properly listed and was getting only slight attention. Then after appearing here as "Book of Norman on EBAY" it becames as they usually do, unaffordable. Did the post here cause the bidding to increase ? Who knows but it certainly didn't cause people to stay away.

This has nothing to do with helping each other keep our cars on the road or with value of Sunbeam cars. It has to do with letting people who do the legwork and constantly search nooks and crannies sometimes find a bargin.

If a member here asks "anyone know where I can find a set of valve covers" then answering helpfully is certaing fine. I'm talking about a post "Great Lat valve covers on EBAY" attracting 5 or 6 bidders where there may "naturally" have only been 1 or 2 guys who noticed it. Obviously nobody sees it the same as I do.

Steve
I vote for keeping this section.

Bid what you can afford or what its worth to you, if the other guy wins, he wanted it more than you needed it.

People selling rootes stuff on ebay usually know what its worth.

In the case of the Book of Norman, this never sells for less than $500 so a wary seller will put a reserve or start at a price that he wont feel bad about.

It doesnt matter what the bidding price or number of bidders if it doesnt meet reserve.

mikephillips

Donation Time
There's really no way to know how having a section like this affects bidding on any auction site. The Book of Norman example may simply be due to folks taking time to discover the listing since it was incorrect. Remember there are other sites like TEAE, the SAOC in England, and so on where it could have been a topic of discussion. With the internet and these auctions reaching a wider audience every day, and the supply of good NOS and used parts and memorabilia getting smaller, prices will reflect that. Remember, you may not be bidding against a small group of US owners in an auction, but against people all over the world.

65beam

Donation Time
purpose

mike is right ! i find that i am bidding against people from all over the world. i lost some parts to a guy in s.africa a while back. keep this section.

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
Other members have tipped me off to parts that I have needed on this site. I vote to keep it and add Craigs.

Rick Guest
Series I

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I like it kept on the forum also. You always miss something when searching Ebay, etc (many eyes makes less chance of missing it :) ). I understand why this has been brought up, but there is no way it can be stopped. As stated, if you are after a particular part bid up to the amount you want to spend. If you don't win it, there is always a 'next time'. We all get those feelings when beaten for an item in the last thirty seconds of an auction that we had been winning for the last seven days.

Regards, Robin.