• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Puddle of gas

Mark B

Donation Time
All-

My Alpine has been sitting in a garage since early December and a brief unseasonal warm day allowed me to fire it up on Saturday. We had previously had some lows in the negative digits and I wanted to just run it up to temp and air it out. It took a few extended cranking and waiting periods before it fired and almost immediately the smell of gas filled the garage. I shut it down quickly and sure enough, a good 14 inch puddle under the fuel pump. I was expecting carb overflow, though I have replaced the needle valves. It turns out that nearly all of the screws surrounding the glass bowl of the fuel pump needed a twist. It was a bit odd, as if something had contracted enough to cause a momentary leak upon startup or a very high pressure situation that blew some gas by a previously sound gasket.

In any case, I rolled the car out into the open and located an extinguisher. When all the fumes had dissipated, I fired the car back up and not a problem. No leaks, no stumbles, all good.

Upon reflection, I realized how unprepared I was should something have really gone south, and my mental note was to certainly exercise a great deal more caution and preparedness in the future. I will likely be in the same boat again in the Spring if we have any sort of winter here, and will not have driven the car for 45 plus days.

Once sorted, it was a blast to pound around for an hour or so in 60 degree weather and certainly chased the winter blues. All of the sand on the roads was fun and gave the impression of much more power as the back end would break out slightly in turns or a wheel would spin if I hit the grit under power in twisty parts. Quite fun.

Bottom line, take care and be thoughtful as you are pulling your car from winter storage.

Thanks,

Mark B

Nickodell

Donation Time
Ever since I completed Matilda's restoraion in 1984 and started keeping her in the garage, which is under part of the house, I've been concerned about fuel leaks. There are several possibilities that don't exist in modern vehicles, and become more likely as our 'pines age, such as the one you mention, plus fuel lines and the tanks' cross-feed pipe.

When I changed my water heater to a tankless (constant-flow) one, in the garage, fed by propane from an outside tank, I installed a propane leak detecting alarm. This not only will sound off with a 110db alarm if it detects propane, it works with butane, methane and gasoline fumes.

My other precaution, rigidly followed, is to park Matilda in the yard after a trip, and after 15 minutes or so do an under-the-hood and underneath check for leaks, before driving her into the garage. As our beloved babies generally smell of gas after a trip, this also helps to avoid stinking the house up.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I have had that happen to me too, although not that bad. The first time it happened, I just tightened the fuel pump screws, as you apparently did. That lasted for a while, but it happened again a year or so later. This time I cleaned all of the screws and used Q tips to clean the threads in the pump, then replaced the lock washers and used thread sealant just to be safe. So far, no trouble.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mark B,

After your brief ride I would strongly suggest that you give your car a good wash! Not just a rinse!

I just purchased a Hard Top that had extensive rust (I'm not complaining - I knew what I was buying) and I suspect that it was damaged by rust (salt) because it was not "WASHED" after a trip out on roads that had been salted!

I have also seen a lot of our Alpines damaged by salt because they were not properly taken care of as needed!

That said reminds me of my short time in Christchurch, New Zealand back in 1963! I met a family there that became my "KiWi Family". They had an old 1934 Ford 2Dr sedan that was driven on special days (their only car) and each time it was washed, hand wipe and placed back in their garage. It had "no rust" after almost 30 years of use.

It would have been nice to ship back to SC:D

Mark B

Donation Time
Dan-

You are spot on. It was dry out, but the car needed a bath anyway and after that drive I was able to give it a good wash. I had neglected the inside in the Fall and was able to get at some of the footwell debris and the the trunk. Great day overall and so unexpected in the middle of the winter.

Cheers,
Mark B

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
FWIW I would almost guarantee the reason the screws were loose is that the pump diaphragm has shrunk, a common fault with older diaphragm material reacting with modern fuels.

My experience with a number of older vehicles in recent years is that the diaphragm dries out almost to cardboard consistency, it loses its flexibility eventually cracks and splits and you lose your pump. Apart from the external leak aspects there is also the problem of internal fuel leakage into the sump and dilution of the oil.

Do yourself a favor and put a new kit in the pump.

agmason54

Donation Time
Modern fuel shrinks diaphragms????

Beamers,
I know why my screws got loose-Pilot error. It's no ones fault but the driver/mechanic when things fall off the engine. I have had every part on the engine come loose and almost come off at one at one time or another. Distributor, fuel pump, top of fuel pump, intake manifold, carb,and especially generators. I blame myself. My first Alpine burnt to the ground- must have been the fuel-RIGHT...... It was all my fault then but it has not happened since. My screws loosened up years ago on my fuel pump and I tightened them up and kept on going and I'm still using the same pump.I can see the diaphragm drying up on a pump that sat idle for 30 years but not on a running car no matter what kind of fuel you run. It's been my experience that things vibrate off the car from moving down the highway..... Anyone else have this problem?
Agm

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Beamers,
I know why my screws got loose-Pilot error. It's no ones fault but the driver/mechanic when things fall off the engine. I have had every part on the engine come loose and almost come off at one at one time or another. Distributor, fuel pump, top of fuel pump, intake manifold, carb,and especially generators. I blame myself. My first Alpine burnt to the ground- must have been the fuel-RIGHT...... It was all my fault then but it has not happened since. My screws loosened up years ago on my fuel pump and I tightened them up and kept on going and I'm still using the same pump.I can see the diaphragm drying up on a pump that sat idle for 30 years but not on a running car no matter what kind of fuel you run. It's been my experience that things vibrate off the car from moving down the highway..... Anyone else have this problem?
Agm

At your own risk my friend.

agmason54

Donation Time
Dream Beam,
I carry a spare stock fuel pump and a handy little electric one if all else fails. I do not doubt what you say is true but that has not been my been my experience with fuel pumps.I have seen them fail about every other way and I have been lucky that when it happens the car lets me know by instantly running like crap or flat out dying on the road which is a good thing compared to diluting your oil like you mentioned.
later
Al