• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Progress

Limey

Donation Time
Thanks for the all the PMs

I have now aquired a pair of microcell contour 6 seats View attachment 3420
The early series tooll roll is now being remade. Scott is doing the leg work getting the real thing made and distributed.

I should get the body back from the coachwork in 2 months. Cant wait to start putting it all together

Oliver

Last edited:

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Sigh...............

So despite promises of a detailed photo shoot of all the brilliant and time consuming work so far, all you have to share with us is a tiny picture of a seat? Not even a pair of seats....just one.

I think I can speak on behalf of Sunbeam enthusiasts world wide when I say.....we're all so VERY disappointed :D

Limey

Donation Time
Et Tu Lance? :rolleyes::D Oh ye of little faith..... This is all still work in progress so bite your tongue mate. ...

Many major parts are NOS original NOT remanufactured! i.e.the distributor; solenoid cover, reverse and overdrive swith rubber covers; the starter motor and alternator; as is the fan belt as are the carbs as is the over drive, as is the gear box as is the gear stick and knob, fuel pump, gaskets etc etc All lovely and 50+ years old, dealer perfect. Never mind that the world is going to hell in a hand cart....:rolleyes:

Luckily my neighbour Pete is the photographer for Bentley and Jaguar so when I'm ready I'll post pics that do the old girl justce. Until then these rough snaps will have to serve,

View attachment 3426

View attachment 3428

View attachment 3429

View attachment 3430

Last edited:

Limey

Donation Time
Work in progress. nasty silver nuts and bolts will be chemically blacked now that pre build is completed.

Hand brake actuaters are TR4 and exactly as Alpine FYI.

I had the hand brake rod return springs specially made and are hand wound 1 offs made to match the originals because accurate existing copies could be found

The leaf springs are bare and oiled as per original manufacture. Same for the brake drums which are 50yr old NOS as are the brake shoes springs etc.

Excuse the the wire wheels in the photos they are used 'stand ins'.

The rubbber required for the leaf spring binders was custom cast to my order in America and is exactlly as original dimensions. I only needed 6 ft for the job but alas had to buy a minimum 400 ft to have it made. Anybody want 394ft of correct rubber profile?

Frankly it doesnt matter to me that this is just an Alpine, After 5 years of painstaking plodding the marque has now become secondary, what drives me is that this will be as period perfect as can ever be recreated; to make it pointles to try to beat it.

The pics posted are work in progress and I want all and any comments. I know the spark plug caps are not dealer fitted and the bendix cover is US spec only. The are fiited for fun and will be off prior to completion.

And yes my back axle lives in the house. And when the engine and front axle assembly are complete they to will reside indoors. To make the neccesary room the wife and kids will have nice pump up matresses and a gas stove in the garage until the body comes back for assembly. It is important to keep a true perspective on what is important in a mans life.

To re assure you of just how down to earth and normal I am here a pic of me and the missus. Y'see. perfectly normal View attachment 3434

View attachment 3433

View attachment 3431

View attachment 3432

Last edited:

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
See, poke the bear and who knows what you'll end up with :p.

Despite the fact that the pics were a bit small, (unlike the size of your willy, good heavens man I had no idea!), I see now what you've been up to in your spare time. Congratulations, it looks brilliant.

Just remind us what colour the coachwork will be finished in? And the wide whites, are they staying? They look so cool with the wires.

We look forward to the next pictorial installment. Never mind about the wife and kids, it's all about YOU and the CAR......:D

Limey

Donation Time
It's a great photo isn't it. I love how serious they are:D

And it is a stick I think. Insanity gone mad

Limey

Donation Time
Just remind us what colour the coachwork will be finished in? And the wide whites, are they staying? They look so cool with the wires.

I love the Gunmetal grey of the late Series Vs. Very 60's Aston Martin.

View attachment 3445

The Whitewalls are staying. They are almost exactly as per originals, 2" band raised tread cross plys of the correct size but I bet they handle like a pig...

I bought 10 last year and got a fairly good price. They are Goodrich if I remember correctly

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
OK, never mind the naked bumpkins, we should get back to the matter at hand.

Yeah, those tyres will be difficult to get used to, but that's exactly how it would have steered in 1960. I recently spent a few months behind the wheel of a Minx with period crossplies and just negotiating a round a bout at 30 mph was a thrilling experience :eek:.

The only items I would question with the presentation so far would be perhaps the welsh plugs. I believe they were fitted before the block was painted, therefore they should be black too? I have also noticed with other examples that the top of the bellhousing often had overspray from the block on the top flange area, suggesting that the box was mounted to the engine before it was painted? Weird I know, and from an aesthetic point of view it looks untidy.

Loved the paint codes on the top of the diff, did you discover the old ones under all the gunk for reference or?

On the later ball joint cars only the lower swivel is unpainted cast iron so, while technically incorrect, I finished mine with cast iron paint so they weren't covered in surface rust in 18 months time.

Either way, it still looks superb. Is it likely that when you have finished creating the closest thing to a brand new Alpine it may be too good to use?
While it may be a bit bulky, it would make a great talking point if you had it on permanent display in the lounge....:rolleyes:

Cheers, Lance.

Limey

Donation Time
She'll handle like a 3 legged cow on wet lino.

The paint codes where discovered by Jumpin' Jan so I thought it would be nice to replicate them.

Your point about the core plugs is noted and easily enough corrected. Thanks.,

Chemically blacking all the nuts bolts and washers has been a real pain but I've never been too keen on those bling restos.

Wait till you see the 4;2;1 exhaust manifold. I have hand filed and polished away every single rust pit and it looks new. Hours and hours of soul destroying titting about. :rolleyes:

65beam

Donation Time
limey,
the rubber for the springs is available from sunbeam specialties. maybe you can sell it to him after he sells his current batch.