• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Progress on V6 exhaust

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Progress - slow but steady. I drilled the pilot holes through the X frame yesterday. I successfully drilled 3" holes in the rear X frame this morning. The front X frame member will be tomorrows challenge. The W58 Toyota transmission prevents me from drilling the holes in the front X member from front to back. So....it is either remove the tranny or continue to drill from the back side. I think if I use my 12" extension I can drill the holes from the back. The 3" holes I drilled this morning are quite smooth on the edges. Hopefully that will make fitting a "filler" pipe for strengthening the X frame a bit easier.

To be continued with some photos later today. The smaller hole is original and both the fuel line and brake line passed through.

This was a challenging project! Since I did not want to remove the transmission I had to drill all four holes from the back. The first two holes went quite easily. The third was marginally troublesome and the fourth was a bear. All the drilling would have been easier if the hole saw I used was deeper. It needed about an additional 1/2" of depth. I could not find one, however. Next I will have to form a 3" pipe into an oval and install it in the holes to strengthen the X frame.

Attachments

• IMG_3541.jpeg
    IMG_3541.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3542.jpeg
    IMG_3542.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
Last edited: