• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Price of Gas

mikel

Donation Time
I have been watching the price drop all this week. In central Mississippi today at an Exxon station regular is $3.56
I sure hope this is a long lasting trend.

When we lived in the Washington DC area you would drive 8 miles into another county to buy gas. From Fairfax County into Prince William and save over $0.20 a gallon because of pricing zones.

What are the prices in your area?

mikel

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
I paid $3.78 for regular at Sam's Club last Tuesday. Thats in the next county, but the regular here is runing $3.86 today.:eek:

65beam

Donation Time
gas price

my wife filled her malibu today for 3.52 per gallon at the local kroger store .

mikel

Donation Time
65beam so far I guess that is the lowest.
What part of the country?
Let's see if there is a trend.

mikel

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Charging the battery

Took my Alpine "around the block" a half hour ago and the only station in the neighborhood (Next nearest station is 5 miles north) regular is $3.94. Normally when you get off the hill you save about 5 cents.

Got a question for anyone.... Why do I cringe :mad: when I pay $4 a gallon to fuel my daily driver, but don't bat an eye when I pay the same or more for fueling my Alpine? :D Do we have a Shrink as a member?

mikel

Donation Time
CNN-Money notes that gas prices are going down and have been dropping for the past 11 days.

The AP just said the price of oil just went up to $125 a barrel again after dropping last week.

I am not a shrink but when filling up the Alpine I factor in the cost of a SMILE against everyday life. These days that smile has a bit of a price but is valued highly none the less.

mikel

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Four and a quarter here in the Seatle area. But that just seems to be a reflection of the increased costs on the West Coast.

Bill

lgurley

Donation Time
not the only one

I have been watching the price drop all this week. In central Mississippi today at an Exxon station regular is $3.56
I sure hope this is a long lasting trend.

When we lived in the Washington DC area you would drive 8 miles into another county to buy gas. From Fairfax County into Prince William and save over $0.20 a gallon because of pricing zones.

What are the prices in your area?

mikel

Mike,
Do you really mean I am not the only Alpine owner in Mississippi?

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Phoenix Az

Drove across town today. Lowest I saw was $3.83.

Now if the temp would drop about 20 degees........

jack Bacon

Silver Level Sponsor
Price of gas is $1.91 at two stations across from each other in north Minneapolis. They both closed a couple of years ago and are still vacant.

Regards,

Jack

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
The sick part is I remember buying it for $0.25 per gallon, and filling up my Austin Healey Sprite cost only around $2.50. And I was getting 35 mpg. *sigh*

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
The old days.

Late summer of '67 we used to drive from Redondo Beach to Hollywood to check out the hippie chicks for $2.00 round trip in my friend's Ford Falcon. One night we caught a few bands at a place on Sunset called The Kalidascope (sp) (Now the Aquarius Theater) for a whopping $3.00 each. Steppenwolf, Byrds and some group called The Doors...:D

Nickodell

Donation Time
Best price I ever had since immigrating in 1969 was 28c for regular. It was a brand called Bay State (a Sinclair company) available in Mass. Even with inflation that's still less than $1.25 a gallon.

Will someone explain the maddening 9/10c always tacked on to the end? I had the answer years ago but have forgotten it since. I feel like drawing up to a full-serve gas pump in N. Jersey, one of the two states where it's against the law to pump it yourself, and insisting that the guy give me exactly one gallon, not a drop more nor less, and also give me the exact change from a $5 bill, and certainly not by rounding the price up to the next whole cent.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Many years ago, Dad told me the .9 had meaning. Gasoline cost less than a nickel a gallon and it was common to see one station have a price of 3.4 cents a gallon, while a competitor would be 3.5. Toward the end of the 'thirties (or maybe during the War) it become a dodge to collect a penny more than the apparent price.

When I arrived in Columbia, MO in 1972, I found a gas station that was less than 20 cents a gallon. Had not seen prices like that for twenty years. When I left Columbia three years later, it was 54 cents.
Bill