• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Pressure bleeding brakes

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I just came across an interesting article on how to build an inexpensive pressure brake bleeder.

http://www.bmw-m.net/TechProc/bleeder.htm

I've never tried bleeding brakes this way, but since spring is nearly here (officially, it arrived a week ago, but no one told Mother Nature) and its time to replace the old fluid, this looked like an interesting and quick way to go. I don't think the GM cap will fit, but ignoring that, is it appropriate for Alpine brakes?

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Watch the pressure

If you use 15-20 lbs it will blow out the bottom of the reservoir. (Don't ask how I know....!) I would go 10 or less.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Tracy. That is certainly important information. Other than the dangers of using too much pressure, this certainly looks like an easy way to force new fluid though the system, and I am sure my wife would appreciate relinquishing her annual foot pumping duties to a garden sprayer. Are they any tricks to pressure bleeding that I need to worry about? All I've ever done is the two person methodology.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I took me several tries

Due to too much pressure. I have a Gunstan unit. First problem was to get the reservoir cap on tight. Once you have that sealed, it's a snap. The routing of the brake line on the firewall, above the Master, makes it an air trap and tough (for me anyway) to bleed the old way or the WSM way (tried both). Get lots of brake fluid, watch the pressure, make sure everything seals and it is an easy way to bleed.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Tracy. While I am on this topic, I'd like to ask about another one-man way to bleed brakes: vacuum bleeding. I think I remember a discussion on the old forum (maybe even the old, old forum) where many people recommended not to do this. Is my memory correct? Or am I thinking about the clutch?