• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Pressing in New Bushes and fulcrum pins

gwschneider

Donation Time
Can anyone assist me in the correct way to press in the new bushes and fulcrum pins? The manual doesn't make sense to me as the pins are threaded and the fit is so tight I do not see the threads allowing it to seat correctly. Please let me know if you've done it and how is the best way to complete this project. I have a 61 Alpine Series 2 and need both A Arms to be restored. Thanks for any help!! Gerry

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Provided you have a proper rebuild kit, screw on the bushes to fulcrums to match the previous distance. Then and most importantly fabricate a proper matching distance piece out of an angled piece of steel which need to be pushed tight between both A arm bushing seats. These are for keeping the proper distance once press pressure is applied. Upper and lowers are different dimension. You need both. Press out the bushes with fitting wrench nuts but always with the distance piece in situ. Press in the new fulcrum with bushes in place. Take care that the rubber sealing rings will be in and seated properly. Pretty straightforward, but again no press action without distance steel in situ !

P.S. Your name sounds German. Where are you located ?

Last edited:

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Gerry, if you watch the front suspension overhaul video on The Sunbeam Alpine Channel it shows how to make a simple tool to replace the metalastic bushes.

Tim R

gwschneider

Donation Time
Provided you have a proper rebuild kit, screw on the bushes to fulcrums to match the previous distance. Then and most importantly fabricate a proper matching distance piece out of an angled piece of steel which need to be pushed tight between both A arm bushing seats. These are for keeping the proper distance once press pressure is applied. Upper and lowers are different dimension. You need both. Press out the bushes with fitting wrench nuts but always with the distance piece in situ. Press in the new fulcrum with bushes in place. Take care that the rubber sealing rings will be in and seated properly. Pretty straightforward, but again no press action without distance steel in situ !

P.S. Your name sounds German. Where are you located ?
Hey thank you very much for the input I will try the angled piece of steel support. And yes. I am German (father)and Irish (mother). All the best to you!!

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Perfect then. Let me know if you need further advice for your S2 Axle rebuild. I'm just doing one as well...