• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Pressed Steel Co. LTD Plate

saltykracker

Donation Time
While scrapeing the "tarpaper" from the drivers side rear parcel shelve, I found a metal plate from the company listed in the title. It is about 3" x 6", the second line reads Cowley Oxford, and the plate lists the British patents used in manufacturing. I have never heard of this and just wanted to know if this is a common item. On a side note I almost destroyed it as I was scrapeing like a madman.

Another Question, what are the phillip head screws, and backing plates on the top of the inner rear fenderwell for? The car is a MK1 tiger. thanks,and I asked here because I did not think these questions were tiger specific.

finally

Donation Time
I had one of these plates but ruined it when I was doing the same as you on my S2. Oops. Couldn't read it though.

Wombat

Donation Time
My SIV has one as well. It is only thin metal and was starting to rust. It was tack welded on as I recall.

Could the screws you mention be for securing the trim pieces that cover the fuel tanks?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Here is a picture of the plate on my SIV. I had the car blasted, or I am sure I would have ruined it too. It sits right behind the driver's seat (LHD).

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
Our Series II has one of these tags right where the picture shows it, also. Looks like this was a common item for all of our Sunbeams.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Pressed Steel actually made the panels and did the initial build of the bodies, which were then shipped to the Alpine or Tiger lines for painting and completion. Somewhere in either a book or magazine I have a photo of some arriving. They also supplied individual panels and bodies to other companies. The E-type Jaguar was another of the bodies they produced.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
I just noticed you were a new poster and live in the Sarasota area.

If you would keep your eyes out for any Series II Alpine that is Right Hand Drive (parts, scrap, or running). Supposedly, Bill Buchman, a dealer in Sarasota had one of the Sebring Alpines and it has never been located. I would guess, if it exist, is still within a small radius of Sarasota. I have no documentation of who Bill sold it to.

BTW< Alpine race cars of the period are actually hard to identify... most of these cars were converted back to street so any "mods" were removed. If it had been converted back to the street usually you will still find

1) A small exhaust hanger mounted to the firewall just behind the head (extra engine mount)
2) Reinforcement to the throtle brakets (extra welding etc.)
3) Possibly a roll bar or mounting features still in the car
4) Scatter sheild over transmision tunnel

BTW< Bill's actual race car, that he used in the SCCA from about 1961-65, is still missing, too. It was a nice white early Alpine (LHD). The car was VERY successful. It would be an outstanding find, too.

Steve

saltykracker

Donation Time
Just when I thought I found the holy grail!!!,guess I'll have to go to work today. The head of the large phillip head screw is located high on the inner fender at 11 oclock on the drivers side. The inside is a beefed up metal plate which is tapped to accept the screw, there is one of these on both sides. The inside location is a few inches higher and an inch or so foward of the hinge for the top cover. Thanks

Jim E

Donation Time
Pretty sure it is to bolt a seat belt to. The philipps screw in it is nylon or a plastic material?

mikephillips

Donation Time
I believe that screw was to fill the hole for the washer bottle bracket. The washer bottle moved from side to side depending on if the car was RHD or LHD. So like the firewall it was apparently easier to mirror image the holes.

saltykracker

Donation Time
Jim, the screw is metal (magnetic) and the inside would be covered by the carpet along the rear fender well.

Mike, this is on the rear wheel arch. Thanks again

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Just when I thought I found the holy grail!!!,guess I'll have to go to work today. The head of the large phillip head screw is located high on the inner fender at 11 oclock on the drivers side. The inside is a beefed up metal plate which is tapped to accept the screw, there is one of these on both sides. The inside location is a few inches higher and an inch or so foward of the hinge for the top cover. Thanks

I think you are describing the mouting points for the shoulder belt. All Alpines and Tigers had a reinforced bolt point in the wheel wells to allow 3-point seat belts to be installed, with a nylon phillips head scew in them to keep debris out. The screws are usually covered in undercoating, so its hard to tell they are nylon, but they are.

saltykracker

Donation Time
Jim, Yes that makes sense, shoulder belt attachment, I may have picked up surrounding metal with my trusty magnet. No crud on my car, I have been cleaning, welding, priming and painting for the last 15 years. All the sub-assemblies are done, (engine, trans, front end with needed mods,and rear end), I almost see the light. My son grew up :confused: and moved out :D , so my responsibilities are over :rolleyes:

What I'm doing now is taking the interior to bare metal, epoxy priming, and shooting a coat of lizardskin under the carnival red.

I have more questions. I thank all for the answers to my previous questions and would like to ask a few more. I will keep these on the same thread unless the "powers that be" think it may be easier to search under seperate topics.

1. What type of seatbelt arrangement would be applicable with a shoulder, and lap belt?

2. What is the easiest & least expensive way to source all the rubber plugs in the body?

Ed109

Donation Time
For what it's worth, I'm sure they're 3-point belt mountings. Would love to know about sourcing a full set of plugs too...

Back to original thread for a moment - I was originally looking at this company for some replacement panels for my project:

http://www.steelpanels.co.uk/index.html

Haven't seen them mentioned on forum before (because they're in the UK most probably) but maybe they're something to do with the original Pressed Steel Co...? West Yorks is a bit far from Oxford for it to be same plant but maybe jigs were passed on...

howard

Donation Time
Check with Sunbeam Specialties for the plugs. Rick has quite an assortment. (408) 371-1642. (I get a kick out of the prices people ask for old rotten rubber plugs they've pulled from their cars and posted on e-Bay. Most times they're cheaper and certainly better condition new!)