• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Preping and painting SV wheel housing in trunk area

spudman5

Donation Time
I am working on removing the paint and rust from the trunk area of my SV. I am using a combination of media blasting and a dual action sander. After this, I'll put down some primer and move to the next section of car. I'm farm out the top coats of paint.
I have a concern about the area above and to the front of the rear wheels. I can work a media blaster in there, but I don't want to end up taking off too much and then not being able to properly clean and paint the uncovered metal.*
How have people handled refinishing this area, or the area behind the rear door posts. *On my car, the areas are rust free and the paint looks okay,
My thoughts are to block off most of the area with rags/tape to protect the surface from the media blaster. Clean the area real well with wax and grease remover, and the spray in epoxy primer. *I figure the primer should stick to areas roughed up by the media. *Instead of a color coat I was planning on using an undercoating, at least on the areas above and in front of the wheels. *I plan on putting a color on the insides of the fenders and then do an undercoat
Any thoughts on this approach and what are other ways to approach this?

Thanks,
Mike

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
While I was restoring my SV I utilized POR15 as an undercoat in all interior areas. Then coated with LizardSkin. Next I followed up with DynaMat.

POR 15 will take care of the rust. LizardSkin and DynaMat are for sound and heat.... works great for my project.