• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Potential good deal on a SV project car in SoCal

alpine_64

Donation Time
I LOVE THIS:

Item Description

Up for auction is a 1967 Sunbeam Alpine that was recently donated to a national charitable foundation and is being sold with NO RESERVE.

The vehicle is equipped with a 4cyl engine and 4 speed transmission. The odometer shows n/a miles. It’s fairly well equipped with most of the options. The seats are black and appear to be in decent condition, although a good detail will make a huge difference. The exterior of the car is yellow and is showing signs of wear and is faded. It has a few door dings and scratches. The tires appear to HAVE ROUGHLY 10% road life left. Please refer to the photos included in this auction for more description details.

This vehicle does NOT run.
*** The engine is missing parts ***
*** 2 seats are missing *** wait didnt it say "The seats are black and appear to be in decent condition"
*** Dash is missing ***

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Yeah, I noticed that too. Still, depending on the price and condition, it could still be a good deal. If it is a true Southern California car and relatively rust free, seats are secondary and dashes are cheap. I'm thinking potential Dark Side vehicle.

65beam

Donation Time
deal

I think you'll find that folks willing to donate money to a charity are not too concerned about what is there and what is not. I know that in my years in the corporate world that if I got into a "raffle" of this type and we had the high bid we usually told the charity to keep it and sell it again. that's what it's all about!

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I had a meeting canceled this morning so I took a quick run up to look at the car. Depending on the final auction price, I would snap this up in a heartbeat if I lived closer. The car is a mess and in need of total restoration, but from what I could see via a cursory inspection, it is incredibly solid. I took some photos if anyone is interested, but the truck floor looked perfect and I could only see surface rust on the floorboards. There is a ton of crap, some of it worthwhile Alpine bits, in the passenger compartment, so I couldn't get a good look, but even the area around the gas pedal looked solid. There has been a lot of rain here over the last few days and the car is sitting open (in addition to no seats, it also has no top or top frame) and it was full of water. While that isn't good long term, it does suggest that there are no holes in the floorpan for the water to leak out of.

I didn't have a magnet, but tapped around the rockers and lower fenders and it didn't sound like there was any filler. The only rust I saw was one small bubble near the right front wheel well and a bad area near the driver's side hood bracket. Other than that, it seemed really sound. The engine also looked complete to me. I tried to look under it to see if there was an OD, but couldn't tell. I don't think so. The VIN was just LRX and there was no evidence of a relay in the engine compartment or switch wiring hanging down near the steering wheel.

Speaking of the VIN, the original color was 106 - Comodore Blue. One of my favorite colors. The VIN has been removed and crudely reattached at some point, but there were traces of the blue around, so I suspect it is original.

While it is a good starting point, it wouldn't be cheap to restore, since it needs virtually all of the expensive bits; the chrome and interior parts we share with Tigers. Even the door handles were non standard (I think they are Roots, but from a different car) and would have to be replaced. No bumpers, or at least whole ones - there was one bumper cut in half and painted black sitting amid the crap in passenger compartment. And, it looks like the front valence was badly damaged at some point. There is a piece of solid sheet metal screwed in just below the opening. It is possible this was done to route air differently, but I doubt it. There was also an aftermarket plastic battery box screwed into the trunk floor about where Tiger batteries go, so the battery box was probably rusted out, too.

There was a sign in the lot for cars4autism.org, which is part of the charity Talk About Curing Autism. I didn't see much on the charity online, other than the fact that they seem to be affiliated with Dave and Buster's.

So, one important warning: I spent a total of about 15 minutes looking at it and was unable to do a thorough inspection. There may well be more rust than I was able to see. The car still has carpeting (now thoroughly soaked from the recent rain) and as noted, the passenger compartment is full of crap. So, I was unable to to really inspect it for rust the way I would like to. Nor could I get down on the ground and look at the underside. Besides the fact that I wasn't dressed for crawling around under a car, it is sitting on four flat tires and thus even lower to the ground than normal. So, buyer beware. But, what I could see looked like a really good start for someone. That plus the parts car I bought a few years ago, which was a complete rust bucket but with really good chrome, would have been a great combination.

One more thing: Is there anyone in the LA area who wants to grab a beer this evening? I will be in Costa Mesa this afternoon and then spending the night in a hotel near LAX. As far as I know at the moment, I will be free today from about 3:00 on. The best way to reach me is to text me at three.one.four.853.8912.

Last edited:

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I'd have gotten an beer with you if I were still in CA.

Go to the Goat Hill Tavern (On Harbor IIRC).

Like a hundred beers on tap in that place.

gordonra

Donation Time
Hi Jim...

Sorry... Didn't see this in time for meeting you tonight.

I work in Irvine/Santa Ana.

Maybe next time?

Rich

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
That would be great! I get here fairly regularly, although I don't always have any free time to myself. But, I'll let you know - hopefully in advance - the next time I do.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
For having only spent 15 minutes with that car, that's a really good review 1789.

I always read with delight every uncapped word Mr. Bob shares here. The above was particularly heart warming, Mr. Bob.

I wish the programmers here would just add a thumbs up (no thumbs down) sign to every post so that people like me could just click our approval without having to struggle for words and surf thru the embarrassment of posting something positive for those who post things here that are second to nothing for just being cool.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Pointy Fin Race Team sounds vaguely familiar, but the listserver days were a little before my time. I lived in the UK from 1995-1999, which was when the internet really took off in the US. The UK was about 5 years behind back then and I came back to the States as a real neophyte. As I recall, I discovered this site (or at least it's predecessor with the burl walnut toggle switches) when I first started surfing c1999.