• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Poly bushings

Charles Johns

Donation Time
I will use new rubber bushings in most suspension places but poly in sway bar and maybe a couple of others. Has anyone drilled and tapped them for zerk fittings to keep them greased? I have a powder-coating gun and will coat small suspension parts. Some engine and interior pieces can also be powder-coated. I have done this before and it works great. For the record, one does not need to buy the expensive oven used to heat the powder and melt it into the part pores. I got a $30.00 Walmart counter-top kitchen oven that heats to 425 degrees and it works fine for small parts. I powder-coated a couple of guns and they look good and work great also...but remember, you are adding a few thousands thickness to the part. My retired Navy nephew got a gun I built and coated Blue slide, Red frame, and Ivory Navy grips. Because it was originally 45 ACP and military guns are now 9mm, I converted it to 9mm. OKAY, it looks really tacky...but he loves it and at the range it always draws attention. My point is, powder-coating works on many things and is more durable that even epoxy paint.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
I use poly bushings every where except where I'm using rod ends, I just put them together with a little silicone grease. I've done this on ever car and really don't see adverse effects as to ride etc. There are a lot of opinions pro and cons on this,bit this is just how I do it.

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ditto on going with poly. As far as powder coating goes, for my SI V6 conversion project, I’m powder coating pretty much every part that isn’t sheet metal or chrome/stainless.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Ditto on going with poly. As far as powder coating goes, for my SI V6 conversion project, I’m powder coating pretty much every part that isn’t sheet metal or chrome/stainless.
I stripped everything and powder coated all the used to be brightwork including the stainless.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
We've fitted Poly on one car but fitted original style metalastic on the other two as we much prefer the original ride. Poly bushes work in a completely different way to the complaint twisting of the rubber in the metalastics. They may be great for racing but on normal roads the original is nice and supple.

Tim R

Charles Johns

Donation Time
I have a sand blast cabinet so cleaning parts is not a problem. Building drivers can be a problem with undercarriage parts, but powder coating works great. I like the idea of poly bushings because I use them on my 65 Mustang and they work great. PROCRAFT, do you do much street driving with poly bushings? Mine is not a race car but being built for the street. Bill Blue thinks OEM rubber is best for the street, however, I do not mind a little extra stiffness in a driver. Sway bars and some steering pieces don't seem to effect ride much but help in turns. Anyway, THANKS for the help.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I also powder coat everything and have poly on both sway bars, all shocks and rear suspension. My series 2 has all metal bushing in the front suspension (stock) and is only street driven and rides great.
RIMG0624-XL.jpg

RIMG0642-XL.jpg

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Thanks Toyanvil, for the pictures. That looks great and should serve well under the Sunbeam. I think I will follow Bill's idea of rubber in some places but PROCRAFT's thinking with poly in others. We are talking about what a buddy calls "Butt Feel" when suspension is involved, and I have no experience in Sunbeams except Bill's. His seemed to ride very nice for a little car, and these are little cars. My experience with small cars is an early Metropolitan in high school (friends) and a Fiat while in France. Both many years ago. Bill was nice and allowed me to drive his here in town and out on the highway for a few miles and road/wind noise seemed to be the only real problem, though it was not bad. The Suspension worked fine for my taste...though I do tend to get serious in the left-right-left corners like I once did on motorcycles. With only 110 HP and an automatic the twisties will be left to the standard tranny guys. I hope to see the parts of America I have yet to see, and I have been blessed to see much of her. THANKS for the information and photos.