• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Polishing

Pumpkin

Donation Time
I have two valve covers, one on the engine had been painted "by others" apperantly in a sand storm. A nice grey but ,,butt ugly finish. Then a spare, no paint but needs a polish/shineing up job.

Both are the SUNBEAM labeled ones and I would like to have a nice one. I will probably use a good chemical, yes a nasty paint remover. on the one . But then to shine it or both. Mothers is a good one but is there something I can dip both in before the hard part starts?
Chuck

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
This guy Jeff, paltech1.com "micro polishes" parts they look fantastic and his $ are reasonable while he's doing that you can fix something else OR go for a drive :)

Tom J

Pumpkin

Donation Time
Whew, that is shiney.. I'll give him a jingle.. perhaps.
May be more than an Alpine can stand:eek: :eek:
Thanks
chuck

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Whew, that is shiney.. I'll give him a jingle.. perhaps.
May be more than an Alpine can stand:eek: :eek:
Thanks
chuck

I am interested in this too. Rather than pester him with multiple calls from this group, please post the price for polishing a valve cover when you get it.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Chuck: Engine turning looks nice, too. It was almost mandatory for aluminum parts on cars (valve covers, dashboards) and aircraft (e.g. Spirit of St. Louis) some years back. Do you know how to do it?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill, can stainless steel be engine turned? I would suppose so, as it is simply a finished imparted by spot facing, but really don't know. Not that I want to do it, just curious as it would eliminate the plating.

Bill

Nickodell

Donation Time
As for engine turning--very precise process, one mistake and it looks bad. I did my race car dash board, it took a professional hours. And then you have to chrome plate that on top of everything.
Bill

I used to do it on smaller parts by cementing an ordinary drugstore cork of the right diameter to an arbor and chucking it in my drill press, then using mild abrasive and feeding the part using the register to get the exact distance between centers. It's best to practice on scrap first. You can protect the finish with clear lacquer.

However, I wouldn't want to try it on beveled surfaces or near raised bits like the Sunbeam logo.

Pumpkin

Donation Time
polished

I used to do it on smaller parts by cementing an ordinary drugstore cork of the right diameter to an arbor and chucking it in my drill press, then using mild abrasive and feeding the part using the register to get the exact distance between centers. It's best to practice on scrap first. You can protect the finish with clear lacquer.

However, I wouldn't want to try it on beveled surfaces or near raised bits like the Sunbeam logo.

Tooth paste.. ?/ you'll wonder where the yellow went ,, when you brush your stuff with pepsodent...:)
I will try that one with the cork. I have heard of that before,,:rolleyes: , also before I ask that question..
Thanks guys.
CHuckk

Nickodell

Donation Time
Tooth paste would possibly work, although I used to use jeweller's rouge, which is probably around 400 grit. I've also used chalk dust (which is most of what toothpaste is) and even non-chlorinated scouring powder.

Pumpkin

Donation Time
Tooth paste would possibly work, although I used to use jeweller's rouge, which is probably around 400 grit. I've also used chalk dust (which is most of what toothpaste is) and even non-chlorinated scouring powder.

Found that pepsodent does'nt work. I did get 95% of the shine back with a small dremel tool wire brush. Wore it out :cool: , back to china (harbor tools)to get another . Perhaps china (sears/kmart) will have a small attachment too.
400 grit emery cloth takes off a lot, then a 600 did better. Will attach pictures when available. I am using a 1/4 " brass rod with a slit in the end and wrap the emery in it .
Now to the paint removal on the other unit. My son "the smarty pants" found an articule on removal of paint on metal items.. Boil them in a pan with dish soap...
Try that next.
Cheers
chuck

britbeam

Donation Time
I have two valve covers, one on the engine had been painted "by others" apperantly in a sand storm. A nice grey but ,,butt ugly finish. Then a spare, no paint but needs a polish/shineing up job.

Both are the SUNBEAM labeled ones and I would like to have a nice one. I will probably use a good chemical, yes a nasty paint remover. on the one . But then to shine it or both. Mothers is a good one but is there something I can dip both in before the hard part starts?
Chuck

Chuck here is my take on polishing the valve cover. I used fine sand paper 400/600 and then I used the product called "Wenol" with a buffing wheel . After buffing with the wheel on my high speed grinder I hand buffed with "Wenol".
You can go to Autogeek.net to learn more about Wenol. Oh it aint cheap but it does work.The sanding prep is important .The surface must be in a state to accept polishing as in decreasing rough metal.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Pumpkin

Donation Time
Thanks Dwain for that info. I'll look them up. Here is my SO far. If I learn how to post pics I will.

What I did and not bad, is the old real dull and scratched looking one with out paint, I started with a very small wire brush for my dremel, that really took off the majority of the crud, then with 220 weter dry paper, cleaned , then to 400/600, weter dry. Hey it's starting to look pretty good.

I went to NAPA and picked some Never Dull and a 2000 weter dry,,now we are talking,, my fingers and hands are starting to know whats going on. I suggest rubber gloves, black fingers do not look good at dinner. After the wet R dry, I started with the Never Dull. .

Then a air dremel with a cloth wheel( wear a face mask and eye protection here). After that was done I finished up with a good wash job. :D

NOTE, Don't wash in real hot water, it tends to discolor the aluminum..:mad:

I had planned on boiling this cover, and doing all this. I do have the painted one to pratice on boiling. So Now installed a real shiney valve cover. Time involved , approximately 10 hours.. :(
If I had a real nice shop this may have taken less time, but it keeps me away from , A) TV, and B) the computer.
Chuck

65beam

Donation Time
polishing aluminum

chuck,
do you have a plating shop in your area? most of them can polish aluminum.i use a shop in dayton that recently polished the intake for my strombergs and the cost was 45.00.or you can contact EASTWOOD @800 345 1178 or go to www.eastwood.com . they have all the items to polish with at a decent price.

Pumpkin

Donation Time
chuck,
do you have a plating shop in your area?

>> Probably do, I'll just out of wonder give a couple a call.

can contact EASTWOOD @800 345 1178 or go to www.eastwood.com . they have all the items to polish with at a decent price.

>>>Thanks for that eastwood, I had heard from my eldest son about them he has a Camero 67' hoochy whoo big engine and parts that cost as much as my Pine:D

I did get the valve cover pretty darn close to shaving in. It was rougher that the dickins. And the SUNBEAM shines on it :) , thats a plus..
So now it's the painted one to wrasel with, I made a large boiling pan from an old air compressor tank, and am going set it on my BBQ , boil the heck out of it. But this time I'll take some good pictures first and during process.

Take care and we'll see how it goes.
Chuck in Portland.