• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Pinto 2.0 parts

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill,

Thanks for the heads up. The price does seem pretty good. My only thought is that 0.250 inch seems a bit thin for a header flange. I think it would warp easily when welding.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don't weld so damn fast!

Bill

:eek:

That's funny. I know only a little about welding and no experience at all.

However, I am employed in a building where maybe forty or so welders generate noxious fumes just as fast as possible. :confused: I wonder if that is why I have seen some weldments a bit out of spec.? IIRC, the plate we use ranges 9 mm and thicker.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
:eek:

That's funny. I know only a little about welding and no experience at all.

However, I am employed in a building where maybe forty or so welders generate noxious fumes just as fast as possible. :confused: I wonder if that is why I have seen some weldments a bit out of spec.? IIRC, the plate we use ranges 9 mm and thicker.

Don, I've welded just enough to know that haste can make more waste than you could ever imagine.

Bill

gordonra

Donation Time
I'm not a pro welder, but have been around it in my line of work.

A lot of welding warpage is due to uneven heat distribution. Without a fixture that clamps the parts together tightly to hold against the pressures of expanding steel, the best you can do is to weld in small stitches jumping around the part to avoid a large heat buildup.

Make corrections to the warpage as you weld to avoid solidifing the warp in the part. However, even doing this you will undoubtably experience warpage, but it should be minimized.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Warpage can get the best of anyone, even the pros. Several years ago, I purchased a header for a 2.0. It looked very good, but when bolted onto the engine, was way out of alignment and hit the tranny with about a 1/2" gap at #4 port. I took it back to the dealer, asked that he get another one for me. When I told him it was going into a Blakely Bearcat, he refused. Said he could not warrant it would fit anything but a Pinto. I could not get him to understand the engine/transmision were not even in the car, but laying on the floor and it just did not fit the drivetrain. He did refund my money. That was nice, but I wanted a header.

My projects like this usually end up being a series of heavy tack welds. But I'm to the point I cannot see the joint when welding, so building up something like this is out of the question.

Bill