• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Picture experiment thread...

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Bill's question from other thread:
"Ken, while dragging the photo, where should the picture be located when it is released? If it is within the dotted rectangle, it loads as part of the text, which makes the message too large. If outside of the rectangle, the image usually jumps to full screen and I have to close Firefox to escape. When I reopen Firfox and return to the post, there is no image.

Bill"

When you're writing the original post,
you drag it within the dotted rectangle and release. It says 'drop file here to upload'. My camper/trailer/Alpine pic is 4.2 meg, and it loads fine, but not "instantly."

However, if you're editing an existing post, drag-and-drop appears to be forbidden. You can, however, click 'More Options' then 'Upload a File' and choose the image from your desktop or photo folder. As it uploads, a status bar shows progress, then allows the thumbnail/full-size choice.

IMG_7163.jpg

This pic started out at 7MB, took 10 seconds to upload and/or resize (although there was other traffic on my network).
I don't know if this board has a timer running on how long things take to upload. Likely not...
What's the original size of the bolt photos you've uploaded?
The bolt-in-trunk pic above shows 600K, which is easily within limits.

When I attach the image as "full size" is comes out as 890K. Original size on my computer prior to upload was 7MB. So the board does a nice, efficient job auto-resizing.

Last edited:

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Ummm.... Your Honor, if it please the court, let the jury note I'm not the poster of that photo.

Anyway, when you upload a photo, you have to choose whether the thumbnail or full-size image is displayed in the post. When authoring the post originally, there's a button to click for either (or both) in the upload dialog. If you upload more than one, there's an option at the top to do them all one way or the other, or make individual decisions.

If you're doing it on an edited post, with 'Upload a File', I'm guessing the same choices are available, individually or as a group.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Test again.

If I just upload them, without making the thumbnail/full-size choice at all, I get the display below, showing a thumbnail, image info, etc. in a grid. Some of Dan R.'s recent posts are like this.

Now I'm editing this post, using "Upload a File" multiple times...

And, they were just added to the grid.

Note that when I chose them from the local file "choose a file" window, I selected multiple files before hitting 'Open'. On my Mac, that's command-click for each one after the first. Don't know what it is on Windows. (The first pic is a full-size image. Later ones may be downloads of thumbnails, which I don't have as full-size images.)

Attachments

• IMG_7163.jpg
    IMG_7163.jpg
    890.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 7286-d5a2519105eb2478bea86c5169e405be.jpg
    7286-d5a2519105eb2478bea86c5169e405be.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 7296-2774ad7049990713a0924d42fe456b7d.jpg
    7296-2774ad7049990713a0924d42fe456b7d.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 7287-a57708549296d430676284cc70662634.jpg
    7287-a57708549296d430676284cc70662634.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 7249-48e7b471ab89940cac57cb73ce76edad.jpg
    7249-48e7b471ab89940cac57cb73ce76edad.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Now that's impressive photo handling. Will we soon be seeing the U.K. car wash photos now, from the STOC page ;) the beautiful thing about age is that picture looks new every time...

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ken, one of my problems is I'm not using Windows, but Ubuntu. When I click on"Upload a File", I'm taken directly to an old folder of our sons first car, which I have to ignore as I can do nothing with photos that are not in that folder. If I close that page, I loose the ability to upload. So I drag the photos from the desktop to the post.

Just tried to upload three photos, all went to the text field. When I click on "Upload a File", I do not see any options or further instructions, just that file of photos.

Bill

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
re: "Just tried to upload three photos, all went to the text field. When I click on "Upload a File", I do not see any options or further instructions, just that file of photos."

Just so I understand, you drag three photos into the text field. That's the end of the upload process, at least for Mac and Windows. (Don't know about your OS...) There's no other step until you assign which size you wish to view the pic, thumb or full. There's not even a button to say "Go". It starts happening when you drop the file in the text box.

Another, completely separate, way to upload things is by clicking on "Upload a File". Clicking that button is redundant and unnecessary in the process of dragging pic to the text box outlined in the paragraph above. Rather, it is a way to do it if you don't do drag-and-drop. If you do both, it probably cancels drag-and-drop and restarts the process as "pick a file" from the directory shown.

If you use "Upload a File", then next step is to choose which one to upload -- hence being shown the folder of photos. In Windows and Mac, you'll click on a file to choose it, then select something that says "do it", either choose/open/execute, whatever. Then the upload process starts, and you'll likely see a progress bar.

You'll have to work out how to switch directories you're being offered to select from, or how to get your pics into that directory. I'm not the guy for Linux-related stuff, but if it's a graphical user interface, it's probably straightforward, with drop-down menus, etc. Undoubtably there's a YouTube video or two about it.

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Looks like it works 1/3 of the time. two out of three photos end up in the text. Makes little to no difference if I just click and drag or "Upload a File" then click and drag.

Pretty sure the problem is on my side. Maybe our son can figure it out, for sure we can't.

Thanks, at least I now know how it is supposed to work.

Bill

Attachments

• IMG_4701.JPG
    IMG_4701.JPG
    600.7 KB · Views: 9

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
What happens if you "Upload a File", choose multiple files, (by highlighting them in the list) and then click open? Don't drag at all.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Let's see

Attachments

• IMG_0880.JPG
    IMG_0880.JPG
    229.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0879.JPG
    IMG_0879.JPG
    235.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0878.JPG
    IMG_0878.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0877.JPG
    IMG_0877.JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 16

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
That was very easy, no problem. But it is from the file that is ten years old. Iet me see what I can do with new picsIMG_4702.JPG IMG_4701.JPG

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
That was very awkward to do, funky things had to be done that are a mystery to me. I'm going to have to figure out how to get the pics in the proper place in my computer.

Bill

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Or, tell the download dialog box a different folder to look in for your pictures. What browser are you using, by the way?