• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

pics of my build so far

gspd18

Donation Time
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH] ive had the car for two and a half weeks now. in the process of color sanding and buffing.

Attachments

• old floor.jpg
    old floor.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 80
  • day one.jpg
    day one.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 79
  • engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 83
  • new floors.jpg
    new floors.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 93
  • clear before color sand n buff.jpg
    clear before color sand n buff.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 31

gspd18

Donation Time
Had to remove about 10 cans worth of rattle can primer and tack in a patch in the rear quarter. Body wasnt that bad overall. Car runs great now had to replace the starter, rebuild master cylinder, make gasket for the fuel pump, and free the pump in the rear carb with a torch "real fun". like i said it runs better than expected. I still want to rebuild both carbs and the front calipers. Have to finish rear brake lines and choose seats and i should be able to start testing it.removing primer.jpg

stripe base.jpg

floors sealed.jpg

red base.jpg

new primer.jpg

gspd18

Donation Time
i plan on building a low profile lexan windscreen since my windshield is broken, ill buy a replacement but probably never install it, will also be welding up a set of headers "mine are kind of rusted thru" and an intake manifold for the sidedraft webers that were suggested here.

gspd18

Donation Time
i will try to continue updates with more pics as i go. i figured out how to transfer them from my phone to the site. any feedback would be appreciated either positive or negative. i have found this site to be a great resource.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Are you making your own DCOE manifold? Or you have one already?

If you are making one you need to be aware of the clearence issues with the DCOE's on a LHD alpine and the M/C setup.

There were several manifolds available.. some are easier fits than others..

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
You must be working on this 24/7. Making great progress ina short period of time! Keep the pictures coming. It's fun to watch her come back to life!

Cheers,

gspd18

Donation Time
My wife and I own an appliance repair company. Its just us so my work hours vary we have a pretty decent shop at home so whenever im not working im usually in the shop. The Alpine is my first personal project in about four years. I got it to have something to do while I wait on parts/funds for her truck and my father in laws truck were building. I plan on making my own manifold another member allready mentioned the mc problem.

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Justin:

With regards to your intake manifold, below are some excerpts from the CVAR rulebook regarding carburation and manifolding. The first two pertain to the general production car rules:

"Intake manifolds must be OEM, period aftermarket, or aftermarket of period design. For V-8 cars, aftermarket manifolds must be of period design, non-air gap, and dual plane."

"Production cars may upgrade to bigger versions of their original carburetors or replace them with Webers with the same number of barrels, (i.e. Midget with a single Weber in place of two SU’s)."

Basically, this means that the Group 2 cars are eligible to run Webers, but can only have the same number of venturis as the car came with from the factory. In other words, no dual twin-throat Webers as you eluded to in an earlier post. Some of the other vintage groups will let you get away with that, but CVAR will not.

The next excerpt is from the same rulebook, only it pertains strictly to all participants in Group 4:

"Carburetors must be of original manufacturer and number. Internal engine/gearbox parts are restricted to 1972 SCCA GCR and PCS regulations."

In other words, in your case, no Webers allowed at all. I ran the stock carbs on my car with the choke flaps removed and low-restriction air cleaners. I also polished the intake runners and matched the ports to the head. I'm sure that they still didn't flow like a set of Webers, but that was the best I could do within the rules. The car still ran like gangbusters, though.

I PM'd you a link to CVAR's website. You will find all the rules spelled out for you right there.

gspd18

Donation Time
Thanks. Was reading the rules guess I didnt pick it all up thought I could use the webers in group 2. Workinh the stock parts will save money tho so should still be fun.

gspd18

Donation Time
Well the wires are coming off. Anybody near north texas want to trade hubs and wheels. Im going to clean and paint mine the stock gray color first

gspd18

Donation Time
Cars not perfect. I could have spent more time on the bodywork. Was trying to stay realistic on this one its going on a race track and will get dinged up anyway.

gspd18

Donation Time
Looks like I might have lugged hubs coming. Will s1 or s3 rear hubs fit my s2? What is the Bolt circle and stock backspacing on the lugged wheels? What threads are the lugs sae or metric

gspd18

Donation Time
Still moving forward. Was sidetracked had to paint and assemble the willys truck. Just wanting to put it out there the car is for sale. I will contine to build it, price will grow as I go. I have most of the stock trim and will keep posting pics of the progress. Taking offers.

gspd18

Donation Time
Wondering if anyone would be interested in taking over this project. Id be happy with something close to $1800. Need space in my shop. Call or text me at 214 723 8755 thanks, justin. Have more pics I can send