• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

PCV Setup W/Pierce Manifold

johnd

Donation Time
Can anybody tell me the proper way to install a PCV valve/PCV system on a SV engine with a Pierce manifold/Weber setup?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Can anybody tell me the proper way to install a PCV valve/PCV system on a SV engine with a Pierce manifold/Weber setup?

There are no "right" ways but some are better than others.

The air cleaner will need a PCV fitting on the plate that mounts on the carb.
This provides the fresh air into the engine and should route into the oil filller through the oil separator/arrestor.
The PCV will be installed into the manifold and is fed by a tube that goes back to the side over vent tube.

The "normal" flow will be from the air cleaner into the tappet cover, through the head and down into the side cover passages and into the intake via PCV regulator.

When there is no manifold vacuum, the excess pressure that develops in the crankcase will flow backwards out the oil filler/separator and into the carb side of the air cleaner (and consumed by the engine) due to the slight depression due to the air filter restriction.

That's about it.

johnd

Donation Time
Thanks for replying RR. I have a SII with a SV engine so I don't have a brake booster. As such, I ran a hose from the tappet cover pipe to the intake manifold inlet port and another hose from the Weber carb to the oil filler tube. I'm not quite sure, however, as where to place the PCV valve since it cannot be screwed into the intake manifold inlet port (wrong threads and insufficient clearance). That only remaining option is installing the PCV valve in-line or horizontally and that does not seem right. I'm also curious as to how SV owners with the Pierce/Weber setup connect their PCV systems since the Pierce manifold only has one available port and that is used for the brake booster - do they use a splitter?