• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Parts manual hosting?

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Ok, Nick and Rich:

I have provided the FTP information via a PM.

Regards,
Andrew

gordonra

Donation Time
It's on it's way, but it's a slow transfer for some reason. 3-4 hours.

I'll have to leave it unattended cuz I'm off to work.

Thanks Andrew. If it fails for some reason I'll try again when I get home tonight.

Andrew

Donation Time
If it fails for some reason I'll try again when I get home tonight.

I have received 3 sections. I am not sure what should be received but it all looks good. I may break it out into different sections so that they can be accessed through the club site. I will look at things at the end of the week.

Thanks for the work guys.
Andrew

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I'll shoot what I have over when I get home from work today. Let me know if it will be useful.

gordonra

Donation Time
I have received 3 sections. I am not sure what should be received but it all looks good. I may break it out into different sections so that they can be accessed through the club site. I will look at things at the end of the week.

Thanks for the work guys.
Andrew

What I sent was Part 1, Part 2, and Section S.

I can't recall why Section S was seperate. I may have broken it out of the Part1/Part2 to send to some one.

Rich

Andrew

Donation Time
Hi Rich,

It looks good. I received 3 PDF files.
I also received parts cat for Alpine and parts cat for Tiger.

This looks great guys, it should be a good addition to the club site.

Andrew

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
This is a great resource for the club's members. Most members have a parts manual but to be able to refer to one that is here that we can all see will be valuable. So many times you see members trying to describe a part and calling it something different than what it is or what others may call it. Now, someone can say on page 37 part number 12 is broke on my car does someone have one as an example. Kudo's for the quick reaction to making this happen for the members.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
This is indeed terrific. I am looking forward to being to access it from home, the office and on the road. And it, the recent question on the Vizard head modification (http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?p=97600&posted=1#post97600) gives me an idea. Can we use this site or similar sites to share other information? For example, as I have mentioned here before, I have the complete archive of the V6 conversion discussions from the old forum (along with what has to be the longest thread in the SAOCA's history, Jim E's "V6 Swap So Far" discussion), but it is too big to send in an email. I've put it on a CD for people before, but would be happy to upload it to the FTP site for all to use. I also have a couple of other long lost documents in my 'collection', like the "Off To See the Vizard" article from 2002. I suspect that many others here saved things from the old site that were lost when it crashed. Is there a way to make this treasure trove of information widely available?

Andrew

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

Yes we hope to include all this type of information. I have a great deal on my plate and I look forward to doing this. If you with to FTP what you have and I will make sure what I don't have is included on the site.

I will PM you the required information to access the FTP site.
We have to make sure that anything that is posted on the site is cleared by the author. I do not wish to upset anyone or have a fight on our hands. If you have the ability to write a tech document please contact us so that we can share the information.

Our web site is only as good as the people in it. The more we can get people to contribute and become involved the better the club will be.

All the best,
Andrew

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Got your PM and will post the V6 Archives and the 'Off to See the Vizard' article tonight. The latter is a small document that could be sent though email, but as long as I am on the site... I will also look around my hard drives and see if I have any other non-copyrighted info that I think will be of broad interest to the community.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
V6 Archive and Vizard article are on the site. I'll keep digging to see what else I have that may be of interest.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
That's a really nice resource guys.

But still no parts manual for the SV, though, eh? Who has one, I wonder?

65beam

Donation Time
parts manual

i have the parts manual for series 5. i have them for all series of alpines including the lemans supplement, imps, hillman, and a hunter range manual that covers all models for all countries that they were sold in. i have rootes workshop manuals to cover all series. i think at last count that i have 28 shop manuals with 15 being actual rootes manuals. i also have the lucas books to cover from 1959 thru 1970 plus several lucas catalogs that cover all british cars.

bashby

Donation Time
I have Alpine Series I-V Parts Manual which is a paper copy (in a 3-ring binder) that I bought from CS a couple of years ago. I can .pdf it if necessary, I will paly with it tomorrow and look at file sizes and quality.
Bill

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
So... is it possible to get the SV parts book digitized?

Let me start by saying I am grateful to Sharong for providing the files currently available. In fact even though I have hard copies, I downloaded those for my use awhile ago.

However, for our site I was hoping for something more. I think it would be nice to have the pdf text searchable, so one could look up numbers. Plus we need to get the entire Series coverage. I have a hard copy of the same parts list document #6600992, but it is the Revised 1968 version covering Series V as well. I also have the Tiger parts list 660134. I may try to start scanning as I would like to play around with making it text searchable as well as investigate quality versus file size.

I'm always on the lookout for ideas and benchmarks, and I was wondering if any other car clubs have done something similar. Has anyone run across I good example of this type of info (obviously not Sunbeam specific, it could be anything, other cars, computers, knitting, anything?)

bashby

Donation Time
FYI, I bought an electronic copy of the Series V WSM for a small "donation" from: www.rootes1725cc.co.uk. I downloaded it, saved it, then printed it and 3-ring bound it.
I waited for years but CC and CS are having printer problems regarding this particular WSM

Andrew

Donation Time
OK guys,

To enable a search type system would be a great deal of work. I can produce PDF files that will have title or topic areas that will allow you to jump to each section but to enable a search would mean that you would have to convert things to HTML or something character driven other than a PDF. Who wants to do this work????

I have started to post and will continue posting new PDF content today.
You will see new content under the heading of technical data and new content under feature articles.

I just posted the Vizard Mod article as I see a few posts about wanting the information.

I will look at some of our old content and put some of this great information together that I hope will also help. Please also note that the Alpine Marque (our clubs original tech and news publication) has some great information included in each publication. I will try and make a quick note under each PDF download about the content in each so that information can be found quickly.

This all takes time so please don't try and shift into 4th gear.

Regards,
Andrew

gordonra

Donation Time
It usually requires a lot of additional work, but the PDF files could be run through an OCR program to convert images of text into real text. It's about as far from a perfect process as you can get, and sometimes takes a lot of reformatting to get it near original condition.

Rich