• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Parts compatibility between SIV and SV

spudman5

Donation Time
I know there are several differences between the SIV and the SV: engine size, front Sunbeam logo, non-synchro on the early SIVs, how the Convertible top is stored, and some other minor items.

Beyond this, how compatible are the rest of the body parts, interior parts, and mechanical components. Could one easily be used as the spare parts car for the other?

Will a SV engine with bellhousing attached fit into an SIV without an modifications?
Are the gearboxes and the differential/axles?
Will an SIV overdrive work on an SV?

I have an SV and there is an SIV that I am going to look at. Just trying to determine what parts might transfer to determine it is is worth the trouble.

Thanks,
Mike

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Will a SV engine with bellhousing attached fit into an SIV without an modifications?

It will bolt up but there are differences in the TO pedestal, TO bearing and TO fork between SIV and SV since the clutch heights are different.
You must move the above parts into the bellhousing to match the clutch cover on the flywhweel.

Are the gearboxes and the differential/axles?
Will an SIV overdrive work on an SV?

On the transmission, Yes but later SV prop shafts are 25 spline instead of the 10 spline used to late SV production.

On the axles, the complete axle unit is compatible between the SIV and SV but the axle shafts themselves are not.

The third member is compatible in all series provided the axle splines are the same (coarse to mid SII and fine thereafter), you can swap the spider gears in the diff to match the axle splines.

HTH

65beam

Donation Time
parts

if the series 4 has a vin # after 94100001 it uses the same clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing as the series 5 up thru series 5 vin#395017308.these were the 10 spline all syncro trans. series 5 starting at #309 did use a fine spline clutch and the tail shaft also was fine spline but everything else was the same. series 4 prior to 01 used a different size clutch,plate and throw out bearing. the series 4 axles have a different bearing that is an open bearing with a seal on the axle and the series 5 uses a sealed bearing with the seal being a rubber o ring around the bearing. the entire unit will set in either car. and for ken's answer,the change on the front suspension started with the series 4 although i have heard that some late series 3's may have had the new front suspension. i've never seen one. any of the body panels can be made to work. we recently used tiger MK 2 rear fenders on the series 4. one door came off of a wrecked tiger and the other came off of a series 3. i'm putting a series 5 top frame on the series 4 to eliminate the cables. i guess my point is that many parts are interchangeable.