• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Parcel shelf

sammaw@bellsout

Silver Level Sponsor
I have an appointment with the upholstery shop on Monday. I was stripping out,de-rusting and prepping the parcel shelf area. What I found was under the vinyl the PO had installed were reminants of carpet glue on original paint.

The car as I bought it had some vinyl that was up under the metal hood cover with snaps that held another piece that covers the parcel shelf. To access the battery, you lifted the vinyl.

I would like to have the up shop just carpet the entire area with a cut out for the battery box, what do y'all think? Whats orig?

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
Sam,
All of our Alpines have the carpeted rear parcel shelf like you described. I have no idea what's the factory original. I also have a thick pad to match in vinyl. Take a look at them a the Invasion X.:confused:

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I have an appointment with the upholstery shop on Monday. I was stripping out,de-rusting and prepping the parcel shelf area. What I found was under the vinyl the PO had installed were reminants of carpet glue on original paint.

The car as I bought it had some vinyl that was up under the metal hood cover with snaps that held another piece that covers the parcel shelf. To access the battery, you lifted the vinyl.

I would like to have the up shop just carpet the entire area with a cut out for the battery box, what do y'all think? Whats orig?

I think the Series IV had a snap-in vinyl cover with piping to match the seats. Not sure if a small area over the drive shaft was carpeted.

I got replacement vinyl with matching piping for my IV from SS.

alpine_64

Donation Time
IIRC all SI-IV had a vynil rear seat cover, they were thin pleated squabs. They are secured by snap fasterners to the vertical part infrton of the parcel shelf behind the seats. There were optional "rear seat cushions" as well. The GT's had a thicker squab wiht a different pleating pattern. The SV had a stock carpeted shelf i think.

I belive the original rear seat covers are available from SS and classic sunbeam

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
There were optional "rear seat cushions" as well.

These are the rear seat cushions previously described....

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
I think the Series IV had a snap-in vinyl cover with piping to match the seats. Not sure if a small area over the drive shaft was carpeted.

I got replacement vinyl with matching piping for my IV from SS.

Nice cushion pictures. And what a contrast from the Series IV's snap-in vinyl and the metal covers that blended into the metal of the exterior. Sunbeam went for the softer, mushier, less formal, look on the Series V, a little earlier than everyone else going to rubber bumpers, interior, etc.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Here's a pic of the factory snap-in cover for the parcel shelf with white piping to match the piping of the seats on a Moonstone Series IV.

howard

Donation Time
The shelf cover on mine is sort of between the two shown by Kevin and Allan- The texture/piping of the seats formed to the shelf shape shown by Allan. I'm positive it's original.

Attachments

• 9a.JPG
    9a.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 105

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yeah, the optional rear seat cushions are pretty rare. In fact, I've never seen another set. Years ago I sent Martha Wheat the pictures and dimensions, but I don't think she ever made any. Does anybody know if she's still in business? About 6 years ago I bought a full interior from her and put it in stock because I figured she wouldn't be doing it much longer.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Yeah, the optional rear seat cushions are pretty rare. In fact, I've never seen another set. Years ago I sent Martha Wheat the pictures and dimensions, but I don't think she ever made any. Does anybody know if she's still in business? About 6 years ago I bought a full interior from her and put it in stock because I figured she wouldn't be doing it much longer.

There also was a one-piece seat cushion that covered the shelf but I am not clear whether the seat cushions were for GT models and the version shown by Howard & myself for ST Alpines...

Howard - how is your shelf cover different than mine? Both should have piping to match the seats...

alpine_64

Donation Time

Kevin,

You need to browse ebay UK more.. seems they were a little more prevelant over there. I have seen about 4 pairs on ebay UK in the last 12 months.. infact a set was on there only 2 months back.

I have seen a set in a Tiger about a year ago in the UK that looked new.. car was a 21K mile car, unrestored had the Irvin (irving) seat belts rootes lamps etc.. fully optioned from new.. they were asking 39K GBP

alpine_64

Donation Time
There also was a one-piece seat cushion that covered the shelf but I am not clear whether the seat cushions were for GT models and the version shown by Howard & myself for ST Alpines...

Howard - how is your shelf cover different than mine? Both should have piping to match the seats...

The Gt's had a thicker cushion than the parcel shelf cover, but not as thick as the optional rear seats. about half the padding depth if not less. An easy way to spot a GT seat cushion is they have straight (at an angle parralel to the vertical side squabs) sides as the rear area on a GT was a more regular shape due to the vertical panels that made the seat area on the sides (the rear wheel wells are concealed). The GT cushion is therefore narrower in width at those points and looks to small when placed in a ST.

howard

Donation Time
Allan- Amen to what Michael said- a very different shape... and thicker. (But not nearly as thick as the seat cushions.)