• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Panhard Rod

atman

Donation Time
I note Panhard Rods are fitted to Tigers, but do they serve any purpose ?
They serve a purpose when are used in conjunction with coil springs but i can't see that they serve a purpose when fitted with leaf springs. Any ideas.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
It was apparently an attempt to alter the rear roll height and reduce understeer. A Panhard rod actually creates a binding problem when combined with leaf springs.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The panhard on the tiger is to help locate the rear axel.. ita lso has a habbit of tearing the chassis rail face where its mounted. On the MKII's they changed the location and side.. and it did the same thing. Tom Hall sells a kit to reenforce the face where it mounts.. as most have been damaged... allan.. is yours broken?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The rear axle is located laterally by the leaf springs, just like on the Alpine. The Panhard bar mount tears out because the leaf springs are stronger than the mount.

agmason

Donation Time
According to Mike Taylor's book on the Tiger, Rootes engineers thought that adding a Panhard rod would stop axel hop when accelerating. Needless to say, it doesn't help at all. A link between the axel and frame paralell with the leaf springs would have solved the problem. For some reason it wasn't done. Some owners use traction bars or use Dale's leaf springs which have an extra half leaf mounted of the front part of the spring.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
The postion of the panhard rod on early Tigers did not work at all, it was mounted on wrong side of the rotation of the rearend.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
A Panhard bar has nothing to do with the rotation of the rear axle. A laterally positioned link can only affect lateral movement.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Problem with the Tiger was that it pulled on the rod rather than pushed on it as I understand. Lead to an insufficiently robust mount tending to tear away.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
The bottom line is the panhard rods don't work on leaf spring cars,as barry said they tend to bind, the way there mounted in travel they tend to push the axle one way or the other, depending on which side its mounted, also I've seen some that have been located to the axle centerline, I however
took mine off the day I, got the car, also looking at one of dales cars the rear spring forward mount has the lower pickup changed and a link from the
axle center to the forward mount under the spring, the post about the extra half leaf is also interesting,we clamped the leaves to stop the wind up just
our 2s worth.