• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Paint code/formula

john p

Donation Time
I've got a Series I that I am restoring. The car was originally white...moonstone? I'm looking for a paint code or formula to match the original color. Can anyone help?

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
There are NO paint codes that exactly match Moonstone. Formulas are made on site at your paint supplier. Take a very good, original painted part to your paint supplier and they will scan the color. Their computer will come up with a pretty good match. They can mix up as much paint, on the spot, as you requested.
If you don't have any good Moonstone samples, I sell some master paint chips that I make up just for this purpose.
Jan

john p

Donation Time
Thanks Jan

I'd like to buy the paint chip from you. I don't have any parts that would be suitable for a scan since the car has been painted several times (blue) over the years. You can email me at johnmperrin@sbcglobal.net and let me know how much and where.

Thanks again,

John

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
I'm just now going through this same problem for a '65 Jaguar MKII.
The original color os Opalescente Silver Blue.
The only formulas anyone can come up with are for a single stage paint.
I do have several original pieces in great shape I could take and have matched, the problem with this is down the road.
If there were ever a need to replicate more paint for say touch-ups or whatever, the chances are you won't get a match.
My suggestion, and the opinion of many a restorer is to, yes, bring in your piece or paint sample, then look through their color chips and find a Factory formula to go with.
This is mostly important when doing repairs later, if a different brand of paint is used, their Factory formula will more likely match what you have.
Although this can take some looking as there are probably 200 plus whites in current production, it's just better "Down the road".
The sample form Jan would be a good tool to take in for your hunting, as it will be new and not discolored giving you the best chance for that "original" look.
Good luck with your project!

burgy711

Donation Time
Painting Options

Contact Tower Paint 800-776-6520 and you need to talk with Chris. She knows the right Rootes color codes though they are listed under Chrysler. Tower is the only paint supplier I know that has the code to paint translations. Get a can of the color you desire.....there are two different Moonstones..... then take that to your local paint dealer...... the Tower Paint is Enamel only and probably not what you want on your car but it will get you to the right color.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Burgy, look at it this way: The enamal is probably at least twice as good as the original paint. Did a quick search on the 'net, Tower seems to be a one store location. Do you know anything about their automotive paint?

Bill

burgy711

Donation Time
I've purchased paint from them over the years...... carnival red for my Tiger so I could do some small touch up work and respray my trunk. Then several samples for my Alpine.....the two moonstones, blue, metallic green etc. so I could get the family vote on final color. As you can see, we went with the original metallic green which is actually a very nice Sage Green that is a close match to the color of a Jaguar that I owned. I do have the more grey moonstone that I'm going to use on a Hard Top restoration later this year. Yes, a rattle can spray on a Hard Top, I know the purest out there will rip me for it but, its simple and easy. Chris with Tower has always helped me and she knows the rootes colors. I don't know how they got the codes but I found them originally off some posts on the Tiger United site.