• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Paint code cross reference

DaveSeries1

Silver Level Sponsor
This may have been addressed before, but as a newer member, I haven't seen it. I'm going to be ready to paint my S1 this spring and I want to do it in Thistle Grey, Code #11. I've been to two paint shops and neither can find a modern cross reference to the Rootes color. Does anyone in the group know what the current code would be so I can get the closest shade? Any help is appreciated, Dave

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Suggest you go to HOME click on Tech Data and look for paint codes.....

If you are in need of actual paint samples from any of the below colours, please contact Jan Servaites. Jan has spent countless hours collecting original paint samples from actual Alpine parts. Using the latest colour formulating technology, Jan has accurately matched most of the colours listed below. He will gladly help you obtain the correct Alpine color you need to complete your restoration.

CLICK ON HIS NAME above: Send an E-mail

Last edited:

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Agree with Dan - start with Jan.

If Jan doesn't have the color sample anymore, you can try contacting www.finishmaster.com. They bought the APS Tower Paint company in Appleton, Wisconsin. APS Tower Paint could mix up the original Rootes colors based on the color code. I bought the Rootes Carnival Red and an old Ferrari Italian Red color from them using just the original code #. Both were great matches to the colors already on my car (were used in areas not exposed to the sun). They would make just a small 2 oz enamel sample or an aerosol can. But you could use the small sample to do a color match. A contact I had there in 2017 was Kris Mork-Lee. Phone: 920-235-6520 Toll Free: 800-779-6520

I also found the site paintref.com, which has some cross references for Rootes colors. I don't see the Rootes thistle grey listed unfortunately. There is a 1951 Chevy thistle grey color. No idea how close it might be to the Rootes color. https://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?color=Thistle&rows=50

Mike

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
MGA had a nice grey color. Sorry don't know what they called it or the years it was used, but it did look really nice on the cars I've seen with it. It was an original color.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thistle grey is awesome and one of the rarest Rootes colours ever on an Alpine. In fact I also wanted to do my S1 in that colour, but finally opted for a brighter grey. Pls. find an old ICI paint chip/mixture code here:

IMG_20210112_194409.jpg

IMG_20210112_194505.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210112_194409.jpg
    IMG_20210112_194409.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

DaveSeries1

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks for all the help. I know I'll find the right shade. My original S1 I had when I was 19 Was Thistle Grey, and I figured this one will be a tribute to my youth. Regards, Dave

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Take out the hood release pan and turn it over,then clean it by hand with polishing compound. next, take it to an autobody paint supplier and have their paint mix guy match it. It will take a few tries but it can be done. You should be sure to approve the color before they make up the batch.

DaveSeries1

Silver Level Sponsor
Unfortunately, my present car is Cardinal Red, so I have no original part to copy. I'm hoping to find a part to copy from someone though.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Think you mean Carnival Red. Finding an original Thistle grey part is extremely difficult with only a handful survivor cars worldwide. However perhaps somebody in this Forum has something lying under his workbench. If not you need to decipher above ICI code. The paint mixture formula isn't that complicated...

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I spotted a very pretty grey this afternoon on a late model Nissan 4 door sedan that appears to be very, very close to the thistle.

DaveSeries1

Silver Level Sponsor
Good news, while going through some boxes of Sunbeam parts that came with my car, (when I bought it, the seller said for a couple of hundred more, he'd through in 6 boxes of odd used Sunbeam parts) I found two sets of whatever these are in the correct Thistle Grey. I'm sure it's the color. I'll have the paint shop match it and get the color code back to the group in case someone else would like to use it. By the way, anyone know what these parts are? I looked through my parts book and couldn't find them.

Attachments

• 20210114_171902.jpg
    20210114_171902.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210114_171917.jpg
    20210114_171917.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 29

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Those are soft top side finishers and their color is machinery gray.Which you can buy at Ace Hardware.
Jeff