• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Overdrive Wiring ect.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
If reverse is down and right, it's almost certainly a later tranny, so the switch is on the correct side. It may be faulty or may be misadjusted. Remove it and see if there are too many shim washers around the threaded mounting neck. If so, possibly all it needs is to remove a few. So test it while it is out and see if removing some shims, or maybe just threading it further in, makes it work as designed. The WSM details how to verify the adjustment and shim placement.

Tom

pruyter

Donation Time
The change was made in september 1964 and the Alpines with full synchromesh have a chassis number that starts with B941 while the Alpines with a non full synchromesh have a chassis number that starts with B940.

Regards,

Peter

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
When I put the tranny in reverse, the status of the switch did not change, just like all the other gears, leading me to believe the switch is faulty.
Keep in mind that the switch is adjusted via spacers. The tranny lever won't touch the switch if there are too many spacers, making it appear as though the switch is defective. You might want to remove the switch and test it off the transmission, just to be safe.

Alpine James

Silver Level Sponsor
If the switch is faulty or simply out of adjustment, I am guessing that it would be difficult at best to repair with the transmission still in the car.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Not so. The switch is relatively easy to unscrew from the tranny. Take a look at the photo Mike posted in Post #35 of this thread to see what it looks like. There is not a lot of room, but you can get your hand up there. I was able to use a small adjustable wrench to get a grip on the switch to loosen it and then unscrew it by hand. It's possible that you might even be able to unscrew it totally by hand.

Last edited:

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
The access hole on the right side of the tranny hump is located to provide access to the fill plug. It's a bit below and behind the switch location. Might be worth a try but my guess is that access from below is best bet.

Tom

Alpine James

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks, I missed Mikes photo, which shows what I have. That would have saved a bit.......

So I think I should be able to get at the switch. Wasn't sure how exactly how it works but an illustration in my SII manual shows what I think is similar. I am guessing the switch is spring loaded so that when a tab on the selector lever contacts it, it closes a set of contacts. The switch can be removed to check function and then replaced using a shim(s) between the top cover body and the wrench flats on the switch to ensure the correct position. Seems simple enough.
Just need it to warm up again and stop snowing.

Thanks, James

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
James wrote: "Just need it to warm up again and stop snowing."
Already happened here. Twice.
Monday after Easter -- snow. Tuesday, 70 degrees. Tuesday night, tornadoes and torrential rain. Today, Wednesday, snow again.

While you're in there, also good to verify backup light switch function... which you may have already done.

Alpine James

Silver Level Sponsor
The back-up lights I had never really worried about, and havn't seen much info on them or a reference in the WSM. I am guessing there may be a switch on the tranny but I cant recall seeing or finding one .

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
The backup light switch uses the same type of switch, just mounted on the opposite side of the shift housing than the OD switch. My harness was pre-configured, except for short extensions needed at trans end and from rear of trunk to actual lights. OEM style are spendy, but I found some small driving lights that worked OK and look close. Had to re-bulb them with 35W Honda Goldwing lamps because wiring and common decency prevented 55W backup lights. With LEDs nowdays, there are more options.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
In post #31 James notes that he does not have back up lights. :

"I had only expected 2 contacts for the switch but there are 4. Are 2 of these intended for the back up lights which I do not have?"

Tom

Alpine James

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi all,

Now that the 3rd winter is over I have been able to get back to the garage. Had some issues trying to get the OD switch out to check until I found the access panel on the top of the transmission panel buried under carpet insulation, backing and whatever. Was able to get the switch out and after cleaning it up it operated as expected. Checked out the shifter assembly to see if the 'abutment' was intact and it was. Reinstalled with a couple shims Did a quicky wire up and everything works as hoped. Good day so far. Won't be able to road test for a while but this should be the final issue solved before finalizing the wiring.

One last question. I had planned to run the wiring from the engine compartment down the fire wall and then into the transmission tunnel. Is this how the stock OD was wired or was it done through the cabin and through the top panel on the tunnel?

Thanks, James

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
James, yes, you have the correct idea for the wiring- down the firewall and back to the tranny. Good to hear that adding the shims solved the issue.

Tom

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I like how Mike has run his wires. But I think the factory had the wires running more or less straight down and the first anchor was a P-Clip about where Mike has his second anchor, except it should be on the bell-housing side. Either way, it does not go thru the firewall.

Tom

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here's a photo provided to me by Jeff Howarth showing the wiring running straight down like Tom described.

Mike

Attachments

• od relay.jpg
    od relay.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 42

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks , Mike. I did not have that photo, but I did have that description and a descriptive drawing from Jeff.