• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Overdrive Relay

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
They are very, very rare (the early ones are available new). That would be a candidate for a solid state replacement to sell.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Here is an ignorant question

The Laycock overdrive was used on most if not all British cars. The types vary so they are not all interchangeble as a unit but wouldn't the smaller parts like a relay be common or have been used on a period BMC car?

They are very, very rare (the early ones are available new). That would be a candidate for a solid state replacement to sell.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I think you will find the late alpine ones were a little rarer as they are the relay that works with the self canceling OD unit. There was chatter a while back about how to turn a normal 6ra relay into an OD one.. i think some late MKII jags used the same relay as the late alpines.. but not 100% sure..

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Wild guess - some of the Volvo's used OD by the same firm - with self cancelling OD... ??

Allan

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Steve-what is the Lucas part number stamped on the relay? I may have one. Eric

Cali_59

Donation Time
I'm Chiming in years later.. I was searching for an overdrive relay, and found so many 6RA/ 33188's on ebay.. all ' looked' the same as far as pin layout.. prices for 200+ down to 5.00 the triumph motor bikes were the most reasonable, ae 24.00 new with free shipping.
some were called horn relays, some alternator relay, some lighting relay. all with 33188.
There were others that started with 6RA but then went to other #'s SRB11, 33293D, 33293, 33302,
all had the same pin layout.
I suppose 6RA is just a class designation for a relay body type?
I was talking to an Ebay seller said his was an overdrive relay for a SV, said the part # was 6RA/ 33188,
so if this is a very common relay, why does one need to modify it to work with a S.V OD?

alpine_64

Donation Time
The od realy for a s3-V alpine has a lot more pins than the standard 6ra relay, they are a latching relay and were not used for many applications...

Iirc:

The cancelling o/d relay is # 6RA 33213J 12V 1673

Cali_59

Donation Time
Thanks Michael, I found one with the first 2 model #'s right away on ebay and got it.
What does the 1673 refer to?

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Originally, the Series 3-V Alpine with overdrive would have been fitted with the 9-terminal Lucas 33199E (Rootes 1800385), whereas the earlier I-II would have 33213A (Rootes 1046644). The only cars that I have ever identified that uses this elusive bit is the aforementioned Alpines and (gulp) Ferrari 250 & 330 variants.

6RA is a type, much like our indicator switch is a 85SA. As they vary in design or function the part number changes so the type specific to the car can be correctly identified. So, the two OD relays used in Alpine were both 6RA and appeared somewhat similar but they have a differing numbers of terminals and functioned differently.

Mark ….. volvoguys

Cali_59

Donation Time
Quote: I modified an SRB111 relay to make it self cancelling using a circuit and components provided by forum member Tom Hayden (Tom H).

Mike,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mike, Is there any kind of write up on modifying a SRB111 relay, I would be very interested in doing one up.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike, Is there any kind of write up on modifying a SRB111 relay, I would be very interested in doing one up.

I'll wait to see if Tom replies here. Hopefully, he still has another parts kit available for doing the modification.

Here is a photo of the results:
upload_2019-4-27_10-57-19.jpeg

A resistor, diode, and some piggyback connectors have been added.

The "overdrive relay" sticker came from https://www.isaydingdong.co.uk/ourshop/prod_2847160-Overdrive-Relay-Sticker-15-.html

After I applied the sticker to the relay, I sprayed a few coats of clear coat on both the relay housing and sticker.

I suspect that Alpine Innovations is doing the same type of modification to a standard 6RA relay, but placing the additional components inside the relay housing. In the relay photo on their site, you can see sealant was applied where the bottom panel meets the relay housing.

Mike

Cali_59

Donation Time
Perfect!, Looks great! Would be grateful to acquire a kit!.. I saw the relays, new, for sale on Uk ebay.

Cali_59

Donation Time
Thanks Mark You are always well informed and very helpful. much appreciated! I would Not wish to install any old, used relay if at all possible.
Seeing as I have a very early car, 59, and am installing a SV- OD, and its various components, I am figuring I will have to modify my harness for both the OD console switch and the OD Modded relay, hopefully I can build out or acquire.
Am I correct, that I will need to switch my system from positive ground to negative?
maybe not for the switch , but the relay and OD?
(( i just read I could order a positive ground relay through Alpine Inovations, , so that answers that. ))

I am actually planing on doing the polarity swap anyway for several reasons / electronic ignition/ alternator with built in voltage regulator.

Chris

Last edited:

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Perfect!, Looks great! Would be grateful to acquire a kit!.. I saw the relays, new, for sale on Uk ebay.

I bought the Lucas SRB111 relay from Auto Electrical Spares in the UK back in 2014. British Parts Northwest (bpnorthwest.com) in the US also carries many Lucas parts.

Mike

Cali_59

Donation Time
I got my sticker and a new SBR11 from the UK.. Just needa diagram on how to do the mod/ resistor and diode specs ( I see the resistor info)