• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Overdrive Gear Box

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
You might need to remove the speedo output gear first. I'm not sure but the first time the WSM says to remove the tailshaft housing comes after it says to remove the speedo gear. But I am not so sure that pulling that housing off is necessary. In your photo you can see the last 1/2 inch of the output shaft and it looks OK. I , like other are still puzzled about what you see that causes your concern here.Pleas explain

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I seem to recall having to remove the speedo module, but the case should come free with some tapping with a dead blow or rubber hammer.

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
I seem to recall having to remove the speedo module, but the case should come free with some tapping with a dead blow or rubber hammer.
Sounds good, I will give it a go and report back. Probably will not get to things again until next week.

ALC 68A

Donation Time
I would be inclined to give the exterior of the gearbox and overdrive a thorough clean before removing anything, to prevent contamination of the mechanics. Before hitting it, try running some releasing fluid down the threads. The unit may just be stuck on due to an accumulation of dirt and carbonised oil.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I still would like to know what you see in the first couple photos of the tranny that hints t0 you that it is "hosed". Are you concerned about the shining ends of three of the splines? That is not an issue. Or is there something else you see?

Tom

Cali_59

Donation Time
Early alpines used a 10 spline input shaft and 10 spline output shafts. Late alpines used 25 spline input shafts and 10 spline output shafts. The some of the latest alpines used 25 spline input shafts and 25 spline output shafts." Hi Is there a cut off year/series for the 10 to 25 output shaft? I am also attempting to get everything in order for adding an OD said:
15878[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 3
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 29
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 28

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
I still would like to know what you see in the first couple photos of the tranny that hints t0 you that it is "hosed". Are you concerned about the shining ends of three of the splines? That is not an issue. Or is there something else you see?

Tom

It is hard to show but the right side of the splined shaft looks worn and miss-shaped. It may be just near the end part of the shaft. I will remove and inspect the tail shaft this weekend.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Sorry everyone , I mywell be interjecting in an Off topic way. my apologies.

Not at all off topic. The 25 spline transmissions are anomalous. They are out there but not terribly common and even so, you should be able to make a go of one if you are lucky enough to come across one. All you would need is a 25 spline drive shaft (from a non-od trans would be fine) and have it shortened.
The 25 spline trannies are all-sync so what more could you ask for (all-sync and an overdrive).
The cut off would probably be 1968 but that doesnt mean much.

Cali_59

Donation Time
Not at all off topic. The 25 spline transmissions are anomalous. They are out there but not terribly common and even so, you should be able to make a go of one if you are lucky enough to come across one. All you would need is a 25 spline drive shaft (from a non-od trans would be fine) and have it shortened.
The 25 spline trannies are all-sync so what more could you ask for (all-sync and an overdrive).
The cut off would probably be 1968 but that doesnt mean much.

thanks.. I do have a 10/10 splinned OD.. but On UK ebay there is this.. ( below ) seems as said in many posts , still a lots of OD bits and pieces to be found over the Pond. pip pip cheerio!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rootes-O...752200?hash=item23b737f188:g:2tkAAOSwM7lceC9Q

RootesRacer

Donation Time
thanks.. I do have a 10/10 splinned OD.. but On UK ebay there is this.. ( below ) seems as said in many posts , still a lots of OD bits and pieces to be found over the Pond. pip pip cheerio!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rootes-O...752200?hash=item23b737f188:g:2tkAAOSwM7lceC9Q

I think the UK trans is for an arrow (non series alpine) vehicles like the hunter or post series alpine "alpine" as well as the Jensen Healy.
The input shaft is too long for the series alpine and so it does not fit even though all other things considered, it would be a bolt on.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
wonder if any/many of the parts are interchangeable? the price is nice!!

Its the same trans design but has a different input input shaft (and bellhousing) and clutch TO details.
Not sure of the ratio differences with 1st gear on the series trans but if it has the same gear on the input shaft, the series alpine input shaft with matching gear could be fitted to the later trans.

Oh and good luck getting anything shipped from the UK. Those folks just dont want the hassle.

Cali_59

Donation Time
I guess my Luck is picking up as My Ebay seller has stated he has shipped my OD, ..although hasn't replied about a = tracking #.

("Oh and good luck getting anything shipped from the UK. Those folks just dont want the hassle.[/QUOTE] )