• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Over Heating

howehap

Platinum Level Sponsor
I hear what you are saying Bill, but the fins on the radiator look ok.... Maybe I will try changing the radiator.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
It's that your Alpine consistently shoots up to 205 under ALL driving conditions (idling, cruising, high speed) that' s most interesting. A blown head gasket should explain it, but its apparently intact. Even a partially blocked radiator should keep the engine cooler if you're cruising at 40mph. Best guess is that either the numbers are off, several rows in the radiator are blocked, or you've got a ton of silt built up in the back of the block.

Other long shots:

Last winter you put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator to keep ii warm - and forgot about it.

A long time ago there was a rumored batch of water pumps with plastic impellers that were said to be prone to slipping on the shaft, leading to overheating. But that was usually a high-speed phenomenon.

Wrong (cast iron?) head gasket - water jacket holes don't line up.

Finally, does popping the hood while driving lower the temp at all? For my SV, it's usually good for 5-10 degrees on hot days at freeway speeds.

I also might suggest going to a radiator shop and getting a proper cooling system pressure test done to make sure you don't have a very slow leak.

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
What is the temperature of the radiator fins? If they are hot, you have inadequate air flow. If they are cold, the radiator is coated.

Bill

howehap

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill,
Radiator fin temperature ~185 F outside of fan flow area, ~170 F in front of fan. Thermostat housing 205F. These conditions are with engine idling

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm confused. In an earlier post you had zero temperature change from top to bottom of the radiator. Now you have a 35 degree drop. Or do you have a bottom tank temp of 205 (zero temp drop) with fin temp of 170?

Bill

howehap

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill,
Here is the temp data in one place:
  • Outside ambient 85F, engine idling 1000 rpm
  • Thermostat housing 205F.
  • Top radiator header 205F
  • Radiator fin temp ~185 around outside of the fan flow area, near edges of the radiator core (measured by pointing gun at radiator core from front of car)
  • Radiator fin temp ~ 175 in front of core that is directly in line with fan
  • Bottom radiator header ~200 F (measured along bottom of header and where bottom hose is attached.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'd say your problem is a coated radiator not allowing heat to transfer to the fins. How else could you have cool fins and hot water? I suppose it is possible to "boil out" the radiator and remove whatever is coating it, but you'd probably be better off with a new radiator or re-core the old one. EPA regulations enacted 25 years ago effectively eliminated boil outs. The tanks and process are still legal, but the chemicals (acid) used int the process puts the shop under heavy local regulation. A reverse flush with air is about all any shop will do. If you have another radiator, try swapping.

Bill

howehap

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill,
This makes sense to me from physics / heat transfer . Before I do it I'm going to try the measure the fin temp and header temp on my truck for comparision. I'm not sure what temperature the gun is picking up when I point it at the fins. Is the gun picking up fins, tubes, openings in radiator between fins, average radiation temp of everything? I will report back on the science experiment. I tried different angles, but the temperature was about the same.

I guess I plan on replacing radiator with one from my series 4 that has not run since I got it in 1976. I will look at inside of hoses, thermostat direction (I'm sure it's right), etc.

howehap

Platinum Level Sponsor
Results of science experiment 2004 GMC 4.8 L V8. Temp gage ~200F
  • Radiator inlet hose and inlet header ~170F
  • Radiator outlet hose and outlet header ~140F
  • fins on radiator~155F (ac condenser is in front of radiator, so I had to turn off engine and quickly shoot between fan blades on backside of radiator
So, 30F drop across radiator, fin temperature was between inlet and outlet temperature. Clearly my Alpine radiator is not following this trend.