• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Oscelli Parts?

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Does anyone know if Oscelli made any aftermarket/custom parts for the 1725 motors? Here's a pic of a valve cover that may be one? .... any help would be appreciated!

.... Thanks, David

Attachments

• Oscelli 1725 valvecover.jpg
    Oscelli 1725 valvecover.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
David,

Thats a rootes alloy head valve cover by Oselli? Ive seen many of there BMC stuff never rootes.

Have you got more photos? Is it a cast cover or has someone routed out a stock blank one?

The brabham ones they either acid etched or shallow engraved the raised front area... Holbay obviously cast them.. But large numbers.

Lynx made cast alloy covers for the iron head rootes motors....

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
David,

"Oselli" who did the BMC and also aston martin stuff usually wrote their name on the rockercovers .. Lots of aftermarket mgb mini sprite etc alloy covers they used to make ( nite those cars normally had pressed steel covers.. So unlike rootes motors alloy rocker covers were a dress up option)

The logo on the cover looks a lot like logos ive seen on some rebuilt alloy head singer gazelle engines....

Its intriguing

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
David,

Thats a rootes alloy head valve cover by Oselli? Ive seen many of there BMC stuff never rootes.

Have you got more photos? Is it a cast cover or has someone routed out a stock blank one?

The brabham ones they either acid etched or shallow engraved the raised front area... Holbay obviously cast them.. But large numbers.

Lynx made cast alloy covers for the iron head rootes motors....

Here's a couple more photo's Michael .... there dark but I'll get some better ones. Haven't found anything relating to these covers, not any Rootes motor I've found. Maybe someone had their initials routed in the top ? ....

...... David

Attachments

• OS rocker covers4 .jpg
    OS rocker covers4 .jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 42
  • OS rocker cover1.jpg
    OS rocker cover1.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 41
  • OS rocker covers2.jpg
    OS rocker covers2.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 41
  • OS 1725 rocker cover.jpg
    OS 1725 rocker cover.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 40

alpine_64

Donation Time
I dont think its an oselli part as they would do their name.

Its interesting as there is no raised rectangle at the front... Or evidence of removal so is perhaps a different cast?

alpine_64

Donation Time
David,

I did a search for "Oscelli" per your typing, (i thought it was a typo) and saw the photos in an ebay auction that ended today.

Did you buy it? Send some more detailed pics when you get it, assume you would strip the paint and polish it .. Be interesting to see if someone sanded down the stock raised areas then engraved...

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
David,

I did a search for "Oscelli" per your typing, (i thought it was a typo) and saw the photos in an ebay auction that ended today.

Did you buy it? Send some more detailed pics when you get it, assume you would strip the paint and polish it .. Be interesting to see if someone sanded down the stock raised areas then engraved...

Yep Michael ... Couldn't help myself, had to see it first hand. I'll post some better photo's when it arrives. In the mean time I thought I'd do a little "hunting" for it's origins ... maybe an old racer had his or a team logo carved into a blank casting?? ... anyone with Rootes history with the initials O.S. ?? .... any help from club members would be appreciated

..... Thanks, David

alpine_64

Donation Time
David,

It's not a stock blank as lacks the raised rectangle that goes over the edge at the front. Appears to be a special cast. Very interesting.. Like to see of the recess is cast.. Appears to be

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
The photo's aren't much to go on as there very poorly shot ... hoping it's in decent shape when I receive it. Thanks for the input Michael, much appreciated!

...... David
*** here's what the PO had to say when I inquired about more details if he had them as I didn't think it was a Oscelli, though not an issue

As for the box itself, I am none the wiser. I have been a Rapier man all my life, but have never seen one like this. I wondered if it was Brabham as a mechanic friend of mine tells me they they did do a similar thing to rocker boxes (& of course tuned the Rootes engines) - maybe it is BS? Brabham Sport?
Sorry can't be more helpful

Last edited:

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Oselli was the prime address when it came to BMC engine tuning. Still remember them well from my early Mini Days. Somewhat comparable to what Holbay was for the Rootes engines. Didn't realize that they ever touched Rootes, however they offered wide services. I still may have an old brochure somewhere from the eighties so will look for any traces...

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Thanks Bernd_st for the help. ... I'll post better pic.s when it shows up tomorrow as I've found NO info about this rocker cover in any venue.

..... David

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
David , dug through my records in the meantime but unfortunately looks like I threw away my original Oselli brochure when we moved last time. Sorry , regret it but can't be more helpful at the moment...

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Thanks again Bernd_st .... I've come to the conclusion this is probably a one off design made to a stock cover. Here's some better photos that show the coil bracket holes, epoxied over and the telltale signs of the front pad for the Sunbeam logo. Still I'd like to find out a little more about who did it. .. could it be "S O" ... looking from the other side or ? from the front?

...... David

Attachments

• OSVCothers 008.JPG
    OSVCothers 008.JPG
    198.5 KB · Views: 41
  • OSVCothers 002.JPG
    OSVCothers 002.JPG
    295.9 KB · Views: 41
  • OSVCothers 012.JPG
    OSVCothers 012.JPG
    244.2 KB · Views: 43
  • OS Rcover ..others 020.JPG
    OS Rcover ..others 020.JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 41

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yes, it looks like somebody realized his CNC design on a stock valve cover. No clue what the initials could stand for...

alpine_64

Donation Time
David,

Now that you have paint off it appears to be Someones handiwork rather than a bespoke casting... Still its a bit fun and different so polish it up..paint in the recesses areas and have at it :-D

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I like it. And there is clearly enough meat at the top to do something with it. Someone with the right equipment could definitely have some fun with the idea.

cdk84

Donation Time
Thanks for sharing this: it's a very interesting piece and gives on pause to think what other bits and bobs were cobbled up during Sunbeam's heyday. Until Bill Atalla's Harrington was finished, I didn't know that Rootes had designed and produced the low profile chrome trim molding that adorns the bonnet/hood of his stunning Harrington. I muse about what other tricks they had up their sleeve.

I don't believe, by the way, that that trim piece was exclusively a Harrington feature. I think it was a Rootes accessory that Bill found and added to the car. It is not visible in the pre-restoration photos of that car ( which was a very unattractive green before he undertook his exceptional restoration ).

alpine_64

Donation Time
David,

The bonnet flash Bill fitted to his Harrington was a standard rootes special accessory avaiable from series I ( pre-harrington) to at least series IV.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Thanks for the insight guys ... stripped it and it's gettin' a un-romantic polishing for the time being. I have to clear those threaded holes but they look like they may be boogered up and wondering if the oil cap is odd ... rad cap?? ... The bonnet mascot is a piece I'd like to acquire, haven't found one that really comes close though the chevy fender spears are somewhat close in shape just not in size and the cantered pins need to be removed and another bonding method used.

Thanks again! ..... David

Attachments

• OSrcover 034.JPG
    OSrcover 034.JPG
    233.4 KB · Views: 29
  • OSrcover 037.JPG
    OSrcover 037.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 62 chevy .jpg
    62 chevy .jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 1961-Sunbeam-Alpine-Harrington-38.jpg