• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Original Zenith to manifold gasket...

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Since we are now digging into those "tiny" original details:

Did anybody ever see an original Zenith to manifold gasket ? Acc. to the parts manual it looks like a sandwich type ( pls. see the picture attached #282)

IMG_20200202_121909.jpg

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Yes, they are still available but not really a sandwich style gasket. Its something like asbestos with a stamped steel plate separate from the gasket itself.
As shown above, the plates formed dimples are installed against the intake. I usually glue the plate to the gasket but not at the ends that meet the head or intake, which makes the gasket somewhat reusable.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Oh, and the inside of the asbestos has an metal reinforcement piece you would only see if you destroyed the gasket on disassembly with the gasket glued at both ends.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Wow thanks! You made my day !

Do you have pictures and were can I get them ?
If asbestos they must provide additional thermal insulation to the carbs . At least much better than those paper thingies which most of us use...

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Wow thanks! You made my day !

Do you have pictures and were can I get them ?
If asbestos they must provide additional thermal insulation to the carbs . At least much better than those paper thingies which most of us use...

Sorry now to "unmake" your day but I misunderstood your question and thought you were asking about the manifold to head gasket.
The gasket shown as "283", I have NEVER seen. It would have required longer studs in the intake, which also I have never seen.

I have like 3 zenith dual carb intakes and none of them have longer studs or came with anything other than the standard paper gasket provided in the rebuilds.

If you really want the added insulation, I imagine that you could make some out of phenolic board.
I think the VW 34 ICT carb has the same bolt pattern as the Zenith WIP/WIA so you may look into if something is available for those apps.

Again, apologies.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
"282" to be correct. Ok noted. It had surprised me anyway since I also never experienced thicker gaskets - just normal plain paper ones. Nevertheless to make some out of phenolic board would be a good idea. Just would need to determine the proper thickness w/o the neccessity to install longer bolts. Have made a parallel enquiry to the archive under the related Rootes parts # so let's see what comes back...

65beam

Donation Time
I have at least a dozen of the dual Zenith set ups and several look like the carbs have never been removed from the intake. None have a long mounting stud nor do they have thick gaskets. Maybe these were used in areas where heat could cause problems . I have several old engine gasket sets and I find the normal thickness gaskets but nothing similar in thickness to the phenolic gasket that was used on cars that had the Solex 32PAIA.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Same experience, but the drawing tells differently. Fundamentally the Zenith's have an integrated heat insulation by the gasket block separating the base from the body. It works, but wonder whether an additional insulation would bring even cooler running and therefore more power output...

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I have a set of phenolic spacers for my dcoe webers, they are 1/4" (~6mm) thick. That would be a good place to start.

Limey

Donation Time
Same experience, but the drawing tells differently. Fundamentally the Zenith's have an integrated heat insulation by the gasket block separating the base from the body. It works, but wonder whether an additional insulation would bring even cooler running and therefore more power output...
They made two thicknesses with a thicker one to reduce fuel evaportaion. I may have both. Somewhere....

Limey

Donation Time
You're the man ! Pictures please :rolleyes:

Hi Bernd, I had a set about 10mm thick, black. I'll hunt them down. If I had material I could easily cut some on the laser bed. Here are some pics of Phenolic resin gaskets (AUDI etc) and weber SU gasketsScreenshot 2020-02-05 at 13.38.35.png Screenshot 2020-02-05 at 13.37.41.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-02-05 at 13.37.30.png
    Screenshot 2020-02-05 at 13.37.30.png
    170.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot 2020-02-05 at 13.37.04.png
    Screenshot 2020-02-05 at 13.37.04.png
    971.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot 2020-02-05 at 13.36.35.png
    Screenshot 2020-02-05 at 13.36.35.png
    353 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot 2020-02-05 at 13.36.08.png
    Screenshot 2020-02-05 at 13.36.08.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

65beam

Donation Time
These photos are of a series 2 owned by Ted Casey of the York, Pa area. Ted was in the Air Force and bought this car new and took delivery in the U.K. I don't see the thick gaskets under the carbs and those of us that have known Ted and his car for many years would doubt that he removed a part such as a gasket of the type you folks are discussing. Enlarge the second photo.PTDC0263.JPG PTDC0265.JPG

Last edited:

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Oliver, they do look good. Even though I think 10mm thickness would be too much. Was looking for 3 to 4 mm Max. If you have the the chance to cut them I'll be your first customer..

To 65beam: The seal on the second picture looks more like black mastic rather than simple paper. A bit thicker anyway...

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Bernd, I dont think 3 to 4mm is going to cut it as far as good insulation goes. I kind of wondered if even 6mm would do the job.
Why not go with 10mm, the only thing keeping you from doing this is longer studs and that should be pretty easy to source.
You may also make a heat shield plate under each carb to try to reflect the thermal energy back down.

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Maybe I'm missing something, but if we're talking insulation problems I have the standard paper gaskets under my Zeniths with current summer temps around 40 - 45 degrees C and don't suffer any significant vaporizing issues.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
To RootesRacer: Perhaps in theory 10mm thickness w longer studs would be great but wonder when the wiremeshs will start fouling the bonnet...

To beamdream: Same experience but we are looking to maximize the power output with the twin Zenith's. The cooler running - the better...

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yep the first modification I actually did. Improvement was clearly noticeable. But want to get more :rolleyes: