• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Original Spare?

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Having some tire issues today on one of my cars and pulled the spare out of my 62' which until now I've never done. Would anyone know if this is an original tire on it? .. looks like it's never been mounted on the car ... factory paint?

... David62 spare tire 003.JPG62 spare tire 005.JPG

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Having some tire issues today on one of my cars and pulled the spare out of my 62' which until now I've never done. Would anyone know if this is an original tire on it? .. looks like it's never been mounted on the car ... factory paint?

... DavidView attachment 29071View attachment 29072

I think the Dunlop Gold Seal C41 tires were introduced around 1960 and the lack of "DOT numbers" on the sidewall means the tire in the picture was probably made prior to 1971. Certainly "period correct" for a S-II, but Dunlop used the Gold Seal name to denote "higher quality" (i.e., more expensive) tires and I doubt that they were factory installed on Series Alpines. I vaguely recall that Series Alpines delivered to the U.S. had Dunlop Road Speed (RS4 or RS5) tires, but I can't confirm that.

Last edited:

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, here's what the factory workshop manual has listed.

As noted, "Dunlop C41" tyres are indeed Dunlop Gold Seal tyres, and "Dunlop RS5" tyres are Dunlop Road Speed tyres. Both were supplied to Alpine cars, with Road Speeds costing about $16 more than the Gold Seals in the time your car was made.

I would say that you have an original spare.

1687572610901.png

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Thanks Kevin .... Ya gotta' love those 60's prices! ... I've been trying to figure out if the car is an original survivor or has been restored/repainted as I got little backround info on this car from the previous owner. How would one ascertain if it was an original survivor? ... as far as the spare goes it looks to be the original paint and is a grayish color on the inside with slight over spray (white) thru the mounting holes. As you can see from the pic.s the mounting holes have not been scored by any lug nuts. ....
Any thoughts? .... David

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Kevin, at those prices I'll take one of each vehicles your have listed.....:)

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
How would one ascertain if it was an original survivor? ... …
Any thoughts? .... David
As to the car being a survivor, there’s WAY too much to look at to determine that or to write here - best bet is to get a local Sunbeam enthusiast to have a look in person.

The wheel, however, appears to me to be entirely factory. The colour looks right, and the method of spraying seems in accordance with what I know to be original. The trim ring seems from a later car, however… looks like what they put on SV cars.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've been trying to figure out if the car is an original survivor or has been restored/repainted as I got little backround info on this car from the previous owner. How would one ascertain if it was an original survivor?
I'm no expert on that topic, but there have been previous discussions on the forum that some parts were assembled onto the car prior to painting and other parts were attached after painting. So some fasteners should be body color and others should be a cad finish. On later series people have mentioned some areas of the car were hand painted in a black color - behind the grille and the drain area of the doors. I don't know if that applies to earlier series.

Trying posting some pictures of various parts of the car and I'm sure you'll get some opinions. Probably easier to conclude it has been re-painted versus it is original.

Mike

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Probably easier to conclude it has been re-painted versus it is original.

Mike,

Check David's first picture in his initial post - fully expanded. At the top edge of the wheel it appears to have some over spray on the tire as well as small dots of white over spray on the tire side wall. Further, if you examine the tread, the tire appears to seen enough road miles to have worn the sharp corners off the tread blocks into a smooth radius. The tire might be original, but I think the wheel has been repainted. The color of the paint seems to be too "bright white," but that is a judgement call and might well be off due to photo environment and electronic interpretation.

Just a thought,

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don, you may be right, but I'm not quite sure that's overspray. I think that just may be a section where the white wall has been rubbed, removing some of the oxidized top layer and exposing more of the white from below? Although, having said that, the wheel weights are painted the same colour, so...??? Maybe it is repainted? Hmm.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Don. My reply above was about Dave questioning if his car has original paint vs being repainted. It wasn't about the spare tire / rim.

Mike

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Thanks everyone for the insight!
Just got a couple rollers for my SV so I removed the 62's spare off of the SV and shot these pic.s .... The 62's engine compartment has been re-done so not sure if that will help identify much. Where else should I try and look for a possible respray?

...... David

** The story I got from the PO was he bought this from a Dr. who drove the car from Burbank to Whitman Airport and then flew his private plane to San Diego where his practice was .... He was suppose to be the Orig Owner... as the story came to me... who knows!

Attachments

• 62 spare tire 001.JPG
    62 spare tire 001.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 62 spare tire 002.JPG
    62 spare tire 002.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 62 beam 12.JPG
    62 beam 12.JPG
    269.7 KB · Views: 26
  • alternator 006.JPG
    alternator 006.JPG