• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Open bolt hole

Jim in PA

Donation Time
Hi again all you Alpine Guru's. I am new to Alpines (again...) and learning as I go.
I have a question on a bolt hole on the alum. head at the 10 oclock position above the reak spark plug on my 66 SV 1724cc. The hole is just below the right side rear corner of the valve cover.
I was refilling the oil and the oil was streaming out of the hole as I poured.
I found a small 5/16x20 or so bolt and put a little teflon tape on it to plug the hole. (Another oil leak fixed)
Is this a mounting bolt hole for the heater diverter valve? I can/t find a heater valve in my car...
I was just able to get the heater sliders working again and the left side controls a cable-to-nowhere. I believe it should be a cable to the heater valve. Am I dizzy or is this car missing parts?
The heater hoses go from water pump into the firewall/ out of firewall into the head just behind the intake manifold.
Not having looked under the dash due to size restrictions I don't know if the heater valve should be up under there. It's now looking like it is to be inline on the hose coming from the water pump under the hood by the firewall. I can't find photos in the WSM or anywhere else at this point.
Thanks again in advance for your good help.
Jim

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
You are missing the heater valve. The heater valve mounts under the hood. Send me your e-mail address and I will try to photograph mine.

Thanks
Steve

65beam

Donation Time
heater valve

on a series 5 the heater valve is mounted on the left bulkhead to inner fender brace. there is a bracket that is two piece and is shaped so that one end goes around the brace and the other goes around the heater valve with a small bolt in the center to tighten it and hold the two pieces of the bracket together .

Jim in PA

Donation Time
Heater valve

Thanks again Steve and 65Beam.
I found the "scar" left by the heater valve bracket on the left side fender strut...right ewhere you said the valve should be mounted.
I will be ordering the valve and bidding on the bracket.
I'm sure I'll have further questions on other related items once I have parts in hand and get to test the heater.
Jim