• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

On the road again

BERNARD ROSE

Donation Time
I picked up my Series 2 '61 Alpine from my mechanic friend today, and it should be good to go for the season. During the winter, I installed a trunk rack, had the gas tank refurbished and had the car in the body shop to repair the floor of the trunk to properly support the gas tank. Then it was in the mechanic shop to change the valves, redo the head, replace the master brake cylinder, the water pump, the gas sending unit, the gas pump, and a new battery for good measure.

Now everything seems to be in order, and I am preparing for a good summer of British car enjoyment if we ever get over the pandemic. Thursday the 20th of May, our antique car club has the clearance from the municipality to hold our first informal evening cruise-in of the season. The authorities will be there to make sure the proper distancing precautions are being taken, and hopefully we will get the blessing to continue every Thursday evening until the fall.

As of now, the border is closed between Quebec and some of the Maritime provinces, but we are hoping that this will change in time for us to travel to Windsor Nova Scotia in mid July for the Back to our Rootes, British Motoring Festival. Earlier this month, I registered for SUNI VII in September and booked our hotel room, and again all of this hoping that the border between Canada and the US is open at that time.

My wife and I have had our first vaccine, with number two scheduled for July 2nd. Hopefully everyone will continue to be careful, and we'll keep our fingers crossed that the COVID situation will keep improving and we can start thinking of living a more normal life.

I would post a picture of the car parked in front of the house, but it looks the same from the outside except for the new trunk rack. In any case, I would need my kids or grandchildren to show me how to post a picture. You'll have to take my word that it looks great, and "raring" to go.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
July 2nd? Which vaccine is that? Moderna is 4 weeks apart and Pfizer is 3 weeks apart.

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
FYI, the British Motor Festival in Windsor, NS has been canceled for 2021. Announcement was made today.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
CDC site says:

If it is not feasible to adhere to the recommended interval, you may schedule the second dose up to 6 weeks (42 days) after the first dose; there is limited efficacy data beyond this window, but a dose after this time does not need to be repeated.

BERNARD ROSE

Donation Time
July 2nd? Which vaccine is that? Moderna is 4 weeks apart and Pfizer is 3 weeks apart.
In our case it was Pfizer. We received our first vaccine at McGill University Hospital on March 12th, and like everyone else in Canada in our age group (over 70), the second Pfizer vaccine is scheduled for 15-16 weeks later. They gave us the paper with the date and time when we received our first shot. Our friends received their first vaccine two days later, and they are scheduled for July 4th.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The 15-16 week delay makes sense. The Canadian Government was faced with a problem, not enough vaccine. They decided that due to the inefficiency of the second shot, which increases resistance about 10%, they would give twice the people 80% resistance, then boost it up to 90% when supplies were not so pinched.

Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
You are correct. Just read where the UK does the same thing. And it’s being reported that there is a bigger immune response when the second dose is given after 12 weeks.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/pfizer-covid-vaccine-study
Not sure the increase in efficacy with the mrna second dose, but with the standard vaccines the fortunate discovery with the AZ was that a longer interval between shots incrased the efficacy significantly... Which was great from a roll out point and also as the inital trials with closer time between doses the immunity wasnt as high as hoped... So was a win win