• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

On dash left-right directional switch.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Chuck, if you have a good place to mount it, I think it would be fine. Much better than a stock setup that works only sometimes.

Bill

Charles Johns

Donation Time
YES for sure. After the references to blinker-switch problems, it looks like a simple dash mounted toggle will do the job. I do not mind actually doing things related to driving...while driving. Some of us are old enough to remember when blinker switches did NOT self-cancel...and many of us still remember the dreaded "HAND SIGNALS"!! Times they have changed, and so have we Bill.

90days

Donation Time
Here’s another option to look at for turn signals. There are serval venders who offer similar modules, Speedway Motors and Autoloc.

The Self Canceling Turn Signal Module™ is an electronic flashing relay that is meant to completely replace your existing mechanical flashing relay(s), or be a stand alone flashing relay to vehicles that do not have turn signals. It works with both LEDs or incandescent lights up to 10 amps per output(20 Amps Max). This module does not require any load equalizers because it is a self-timed electronic relay.
Please Note: The Self Canceling Turn Signal Module™ requires momentary push buttons to operate (not included). Latching-type switches, or push to cancel type switches, will not work properly because these types of switches send constant power to your turn signals when on and will defeat the main purpose of the self canceling feature.

Features
• No flasher relay needed
• 3 user selected flash periods
• Automatically self-cancels
• Works with LEDs and incandescent
• Hazard flasher feature built in
• Waterproof and heat resistant

Turn Signal Modes
Mode 1 : Press turn signal button for 1 second, turn signal light will flash for 7 seconds, then self cancel. This mode is usually used when changing lanes.
Mode 2 : Press turn signal button for 2 seconds, turn signal light will flash for 20 seconds, then self cancel. This mode is usually used when slowing down to go around a corner.
Mode 3 : Press turn signal button for 4 seconds, turn signal light will flash for 75 seconds, then self cancel. This mode is usually used when stopping at a signal light and turn will be made after stopping.

Note: All three modes above can be cancelled by pressing the same turn signal button a second time.

Mode 4 :
Hazard Mode - is available all the time and will flash until cancelled. To engage, depress both the left and right turn signal buttons for 1 second. To cancel, depress both buttons again for one second.

1501_Turn_Signal_Module__74259_1378484337_600_600.jpg

loose_electron

Donation Time
Using that time out device may be a useful method of doing things in conjunction with the non cancelling version of the Triumph switch I do forget to cancel it off manually quite often.

Here’s another option to look at for turn signals. There are serval venders who offer similar modules, Speedway Motors and Autoloc.

The Self Canceling Turn Signal Module™ is an electronic flashing relay that is meant to completely replace your existing mechanical flashing relay(s), or be a stand alone flashing relay to vehicles that do not have turn signals. It works with both LEDs or incandescent lights up to 10 amps per output(20 Amps Max). This module does not require any load equalizers because it is a self-timed electronic relay.
Please Note: The Self Canceling Turn Signal Module™ requires momentary push buttons to operate (not included). Latching-type switches, or push to cancel type switches, will not work properly because these types of switches send constant power to your turn signals when on and will defeat the main purpose of the self canceling feature.

Features
• No flasher relay needed
• 3 user selected flash periods
• Automatically self-cancels
• Works with LEDs and incandescent
• Hazard flasher feature built in
• Waterproof and heat resistant

Turn Signal Modes
Mode 1 : Press turn signal button for 1 second, turn signal light will flash for 7 seconds, then self cancel. This mode is usually used when changing lanes.
Mode 2 : Press turn signal button for 2 seconds, turn signal light will flash for 20 seconds, then self cancel. This mode is usually used when slowing down to go around a corner.
Mode 3 : Press turn signal button for 4 seconds, turn signal light will flash for 75 seconds, then self cancel. This mode is usually used when stopping at a signal light and turn will be made after stopping.

Note: All three modes above can be cancelled by pressing the same turn signal button a second time.

Mode 4 :
Hazard Mode - is available all the time and will flash until cancelled. To engage, depress both the left and right turn signal buttons for 1 second. To cancel, depress both buttons again for one second.

View attachment 14972

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, so much for the self cancelling feature on the Triumph switch. No matter how I change the shape of the cams, they will not reliably clear the Alpine knock off tang. I think I could probably get them to work about 90% of the time. After considerable searching of the matter, it appears that "broken" is the natural condition of the cams. The true tipoff was a comment of a fellow on a Triumph site that said he had bought 3 Tr's, none had self cancelling turn signals. He assumed they came with manual cancelling switches. Truly a well made but flawed design that I see no way to improve.

If anyone knows of a "fix", let know. In the meantime, I'm going to use the Triumph switch. I think that a predictable manual cancelling switch is superior to a very unpredictable self canceling switch.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Well MR Bill, you had lots of experience dealing with something that helps us all understand better what not to do:)

I am still trying to figure a way to make better cams for the stock. Don't have any of them yet either!!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan, the problem with the stock switch, at least as I see it, is not so much as design, but material. My rebuilt switches work just fine until hot weather, which seems to destroy the integrity of the plastic spring/cam. I suppose you could argue that is a design issue and I would not disagree. Problem is, I don't know what to do about it. Bob says Tiger Tom's plastic gizmo, but does anyone know how it will hold up in really hot conditions? Maybe someone from the Great South West heat bowl could help.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
It is the material they are made from and how thin some places are in the cam locations that flex or bend or break? Heat is as you say a major concern.

If we can come up with a materiel that will flex, but not too much, as to become non functional, and bend also without braking.... will be quite an accomplishment.

I have a couple cams printed that seem to hold up fairly well. I have not tested them in any conditions on the Alpine.

Need to get my Guys (CenterLineEng) to help me on their time without the clock running:)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan, have you tried the printed cams? We need a magic material that is springy enough to bend and not break, yet retain strength after repeated heat soaking at about 150 degrees F. There are a lot of things I don't know, the characteristics of plastics is high on that list.
Bill

65beam

Donation Time
Dan, have you tried the printed cams? We need a magic material that is springy enough to bend and not break, yet retain strength after repeated heat soaking at about 150 degrees F. There are a lot of things I don't know, the characteristics of plastics is high on that list.
Bill
Dan / Bill,
I have a solution that keeps the piece from breaking. The only problem is that my solution gets me a stern lecture from the mother-in-law if she's in the car. I don't use directional unless I have a trailer behind me. You need to check out the early directional switch. It doesn't have this piece.