• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Old engine gaskets

twospeed

Donation Time
Hello every one, I bought some old stock gaskets for my motor. They have shunk alittle.
Any tricks to get them back to size?? Or are they just old and useless?
Thank you

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I have a bunch of NOS Rootes gaskets too, and I suspect many of us do, but when they shrink they're really no good, except to use them as templates when cutting out new ones. Obviously draw that line a bit more outside the line of the shrunken gasket. ;)

Jim E

Donation Time
Even some of the paper gaskets I just got from SS are shrunk, oil pan gasket is too small and usually the tappet gaskets do not fit.

dannym

Donation Time
Try soaking paper and cork gaskets in water or oil for 24-36 hrs. If gasket appears to already have some sort of oil treatment, use oil as water will not be taken up.
Danny

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Guys,
They used a cheap gasket material, that's why they shrunk. You would be many hours ahead if you make new gaskets with a quality material.