• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Oklahoma Sunbeams

mikephillips

Donation Time
If I wasn't over 700 miles away I'd go look. The blue/gray indoor car looks to have the pie mags, could be a couple grand in those if sold. and the dark blue car on one photo looks to have Tiger side trim and I assume the hardtop goes with it. The sort of yellow colored one, looks like a rust bucket where at least the front needs to be replaced, that passenger fender probably covers seriou rust. But still would be fun to poke around and see what's there.

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
This ad and the location of the cars makes me wonder if this isn't some of Chester Bailey's stash. Last I heard, he was in the Hulbert, OK area, which is not all that far from Checotah, if I remember correctly. There was also a rumor that he was getting a divorce, but I can't substantiate this. If so, however, this could explain the relocation of the cars and the fact that some are for sale.

As for Chester himself, I could never deal with him. Whenever I've tried to visit with him, he was always very standoff-ish. I know where he got most of his cars; I knew the cars when they used to sit in an old abandoned movie theatre on South Base at the University of Oklahoma in Norman back in the early 80's. In fact, I bought a hardtop for my Mk1 Tiger at the time from the guy who owned them all then. He was easy to deal with and talk to. If the ad in question is tied to Mr. Bailey, however, all I've got to say is good luck...

Last edited:

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Chester Bailey

I never got to meet Chester, but he is the one that sold my restoration guys (me) all the pieces we needed to put my Vicki the Alpine back on the road in 2002. At that time his shop was in Hulbert, OK. He even gave them a paper tracing of the wood dash since mine was rotted so we had a template. The windshield he sold me is the tinted tiger original from England that he ordered back in the 80's a whole dozen because he keep breaking the one in his tiger. I should of made the trip to show him Vicki the Alpine finished before I moved to Florida Oct of 2013. Makes me wonder if the cars are from his estate sale, if we lost Chester? He was in his late 80's.

Donna
:D

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Wow I just saw this. I've dealt with Chester and nothing but good as a result.
He has been a CAT member since the 80's. He was looking to sell in the 90's and ended up being laid into on a website of a Tiger guy, mostly cause he wanted his price for his parts. I'm sure that turned him off . I do know that he sold a fair amount of his stuff to the owner of Sunbeamtigerparts.com
John same last name no relation. I've traded with John and had good luck with all named Bailey...

In any event the pile of Sunbeams discussed here were protected by a active creek and I actually talked to the seller. I had asked Chester to have a look he did and reported.
Most all was recovered by the earth, but there was good above ground pieces. The seller wanted to clear the land but wanted way more than the hauling cost. Scrap steel is a by the ton price and at last check some time ago under 175.00

What ever happened to respect your elders...