• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

OK Here is a Dilema -- Solex Carb

old grumpy

Donation Time
Solex is the enemy

I vote go for originality! After all, you can be the only guy on your block with a working set of Solex carbs. Alpines with original carbs are getting rarer and rarer these days, yet when set up properly they work just fine.

I would say it will be the only one in the world with Solex that is actually working, if it can be made working that is!

The selling argument is: You percent a car that goes super (because of the Weber) and the extra bonus is: a clean and nice looking Solex comes with the car if the buyer want originality. Can't be better!

Maybe every twin Stromberg engine owner should change to Weber two-port and get a "better life"

65series4

Donation Time
I may have found a source for a brand new Solex carb. A friend bought about 250 new assorted Solex carbs several years back and is pretty sure he has one like mine. If so, he said I could have it for free, so that may solve the whole problem. If of course he has a like carb. I am going there on Monday to check. Wish me luck.

old grumpy

Donation Time
I may have found a source for a brand new Solex carb. A friend bought about 250 new assorted Solex carbs several years back and is pretty sure he has one like mine. If so, he said I could have it for free, so that may solve the whole problem. If of course he has a like carb. I am going there on Monday to check. Wish me luck.

For free! Now it has turned into something else.
But if it is brand new it will look shiny and nice and if you use it on the car it will soon became stained and soily and depressing. If you instead let it stand on the mantelpiece or in the display cabinet together with the Alpine and other car models (car people usually have car models) it will look marvellous..................maybe :)

65series4

Donation Time
Well my luck was not there. I went thru a ton of Solex boxes and did not find any that were the same. Who knew that Solex made so many different carbs. I guess if you have some other type of car that uses a Solex, this guy has about thirty or forty lying around brand new in boxes. I did receive the new diaphram from Italy yesterday though. I put it in and found that the throttle shafts are leaking vacuum so it still won't work correctly. I was wondering why so many of you said i would have to modify the arm? The diaphram is exactly the same and since it did not come with an arm, I just used the stock one. It all lined up the same, so why did you guys say it needed modifying? The guy in Italy sells the exact same diaphram for $8.00 US. The shipping however is $15.00, so it pays to order several as the shipping is the same for several because they weigh nothing.
Mike

tshehan

Donation Time
solex carbs

Mike,
I noticed your post regarding an inventory of old solex carbs. I am looking for a Triple Barrell Solex carb for a 1968 Saab 2-Stroke. Did you see anything that look like a Triple Barrell carburetor? If so, I sure would appreciate a post to your friend. I can send part number and photo if you think you saw anything that looked promising. Regards, Tom

old grumpy

Donation Time
Mike,
I noticed your post regarding an inventory of old solex carbs. I am looking for a Triple Barrell Solex carb for a 1968 Saab 2-Stroke. Did you see anything that look like a Triple Barrell carburetor? If so, I sure would appreciate a post to your friend. I can send part number and photo if you think you saw anything that looked promising. Regards, Tom

:eek: Not allowed under any circumstances!!
These carbs are reserved for the Swedish SAAB Historic racing society. They and only they have the first hand permit to use these items preferably on the race track!