• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Oil pump install.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Just checking in before I screw this up. Installing my new oil pump, know it's supposed to be positioned at about a 45 deg angle, but tdc for #1 piston, should this be just after the [intake valve closes and piston is at top? I think that's right. Gears are lined up point to point. I know, simple question, probably a simple answer.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
#1 TDC occurs when both valves are and have been fully closed for some time.

If you find TDC when the exhaust is about closed and the intake is just opening, turn the engine 1 more turn becuase #1 TDC is at the end of the compression and beginning of the power stroke.

Hope that makes sense.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim, Very common confusion. Rootes is correct. When the dots on the cam gears are lined up you are one crank rotation off for oil pump install.

And it's not just 45 deg, but 45 deg with the "HEAVY SIDE of the shaft" toward the block. The slot in the shaft for the dizzy drive is slightly off center. Almost impossible to see. Some have found it helpful to paint the end of the shaft white. Also helpful may be to put a Q-tip shaft across the slot as a visual aid.

Se pic in post #1 here:

http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22223

This is in WRONG!. YOU can see that the segment of the shaft in the upper left area is slightly smaller than the portion in the lower right, That is 180 out of position (assuming the crank is at the correct position!)

Tom

Last edited:

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I always double check the oil pump's slot offset by fitting a distributor to it. And checking the rotor is pointing to #1 firing, just like in the WSM.
Jan

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Excellent information, and that older thread really helps. Guess I could have searched for that thread, but didn't even think about it. Duh......
Thanks to all. Painting the "heavy" side is a great idea.