• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Oil Pressure

CptTom

Donation Time
Thanks for the advise, very much appreciated. I did confirm the pins securing the gear to the pump shaft were in place. The gaskets in joints between the block, oil cooler adapter and oil filter base are all new and performed properly after engine rebuild. At this point I have to wait for gaskets to put everything back together. When I do the assembly, I will eliminate the oil cooler and oil cooler adapter plate.

Tom

CptTom

Donation Time
Finally found the time and motivation to install a new oil pump and replace the oil pan. During this process the oil cooler adaptor and the oil cooler were removed. After completing the work, the engine was cranked with the spark plugs removed. Oil pressure rose to 40 psi. Spark plugs were then installed and the engine started and oil pressure was a steady 40 psi. One point of interest was found with the oil cooler adaptor block. The oil cooler bypass valve appears to be installed in a ported sleeve. This sleeve was not correctly aligned with the flow of oil from the oil cooler return hose. The bypass sleeve ports were partially blocked reducing the flow of oil returning from the oil cooler.

Now its time to give the new transmission a test drive. With the cooperation of the weather I may get to do this during the next day or twol

Tom

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I'd love to see some photos of that....

Finally found the time and motivation to install a new oil pump and replace the oil pan. During this process the oil cooler adaptor and the oil cooler were removed. After completing the work, the engine was cranked with the spark plugs removed. Oil pressure rose to 40 psi. Spark plugs were then installed and the engine started and oil pressure was a steady 40 psi. One point of interest was found with the oil cooler adaptor block. The oil cooler bypass valve appears to be installed in a ported sleeve. This sleeve was not correctly aligned with the flow of oil from the oil cooler return hose. The bypass sleeve ports were partially blocked reducing the flow of oil returning from the oil cooler.

Now its time to give the new transmission a test drive. With the cooperation of the weather I may get to do this during the next day or twol

Tom

CptTom

Donation Time
The adapter is off at a friends shop. He is pretty good at mechanical things and he is trying to remove the oil cooler bypass valve/sleeve from the adaptor plate. I didn't have any luck with it and I didn't want to ruin it. The image below is of a scrap adaptor plate I have which has the same situation with the sleeve apparently rotated out of the correct position. Not I very good image but if you look closely you can see the section of the sleeve overlapping into the oil cooler return passage.

Attachments

• 20210114_144132.jpg
    20210114_144132.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 39

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tom,

I just looked at my spare adapter block. It matches your block. I think the sleeve is positioned in that manner by design. First, without being able to measure the port slot in the sleeve, it seems the bypass valve(BP)port has a larger area than the exit port out of the cooler adapter block behind the bypass valve. Additionally, the floor of the cooler's return port is relieved to a lower level than the slot in the BP valve which should facilitate oil flow into and through the bypass valve. If you'll check the oil exit port leading into the filter base, you can see the lower edge of the BP valve's slot is almost perfectly aligned with the floor of the oil exit port. If rotated into better alignment for the entrance into the BP valve, then the exit from the BP valve will become obstructed to some degree. Finally, the angled orientation of the BP valve should help provide a longer, smoother transition for oil flow through the cooler adapter block into the filter base - instead of having the oil flow in and crash into a small diameter 90* flow changing port.