• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Oil pan

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Folks,
After solving the problem of the bolt (just drilled and tapped it) I started looking at the oil pan it's a rear sump but all around the mounting flange it has evenly spaced reverse dimples ,meaning the flange is not flat on either side of the bolt hole it has bumps that are stock for this pan, it also has a spreader plate on the bolt side.
Has anyone else come accross a pan like this? I've never seen one look quite like this one does.
Thanks for any comments,

Tom j
This is for the 74 Mutt ll 2.8

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Tom; I also have bought a new pan to have the sump reversed. Same deal. Heavy dimples on the gasket side and reinforcing band on the bolt side.
Expect the dimples will push into the cork gasket and help even the load applied by the bolts.
I'll use the drill and tap solution for the bracket mount.
Was the bolt easy to drill, thought it would be hardened.?
Cheers, Bobbo

dwolff706

Donation Time
Same here Tom and Bobbo,
dimples all around.

Still haven't solved the issue of the bolt holding the oil pickup but will be hitting the junkyards soon.
Happy holidays
D

pcmenten

Donation Time
You'll want to go to RockAuto and buy the pan gasket that has the holes matching the dimples. Be sure to view the photo of the gasket to ensure you get the right one.

If you search the archives, you'll find that this has been discussed before.

Paul M.

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Great thanks Paul.
The bolt wasn't too hard to drill and tap slow with oil I couldn't imagine not using a drill press.

Tom j

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
I can't seem to get the search feature to work on this site, but I searched around on the internet and could only find a one piece oil pan gasket that had the extra holes for the dimples , what or how do folks get past this problem.

Tom j

pcmenten

Donation Time
I just visited the RockAuto site and it looks like that gasket is NLA. Bummer. I have a hole punch set that I use for making gaskets and I would use that to punch the 48 holes needed to work with the dimpled pan.

I had purchased the dimpled pan and matching gasket for my Mustang II 2.8 engine. If I'm remembering correctly, I modified that one-piece gasket to work with the Mustang engine's end seals, trimming off the parts that didn't fit.

I liked the concept of the dimpled pan because it helped prevent the gasket from squishing out when the pan was mounted on the engine block.

Paul M.

Link to a previous discussion: http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22501&highlight=gasket

I had to use the search term 'gasket' because three letter words are not allowed in the search facility.

Update: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/ has the dimpled oil pan and gasket on their web site.

Last edited: