• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Oil cooler

Limey

Donation Time
Hello all,

Forgive me for posting a 'wanted' here but it's a last hope.

Does any body in the Harrington fraternity have an oil cooler they would part with. Any condition as long as restorable. If you have the hose in any con. that would be a bonus.

Drop me a line for an instant settlement.

Fingers crossed

Oliver

65beam

Donation Time
it's a standard item that you can buy from moss or any of the many suppliers around the world . use either 10 or 13 row, specify the length you need for the hoses . series 5 hoses should be ok to use also . they are close to the same length .all you need to do is make up the bracket to hold it under the hinge panel .

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
it's a standard item that you can buy from moss or any of the many suppliers around the world . use either 10 or 13 row, specify the length you need for the hoses . series 5 hoses should be ok to use also . they are close to the same length .all you need to do is make up the bracket to hold it under the hinge panel .

Was always told the HLM oil cooler is a special one. Haven´t got one therefore not sure. Some guys in UK told me you could convert an Imp one
to make it look similar. However certainly an aftermarket one would work as well..

Limey

Donation Time
So, could either be an easy to source Moss unit or unique HLM special...Does anyone have any photos of the filter and brackets?

Thanks

Oliver

65beam

Donation Time
cooler

set the harrington cooler next to the one available now and they look identical .they were probably off the shelf itemsin the sixties.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
The special tuning guide has a nice illustration that shows the brackets and installation. Look in the technical data section of our website.

I think it is on page 23.

The visual difference between the Mocal oil coolers offered today and the original is the lack of mounting tabs on the bottom (opposite of the fittings) on the original. Also, the core is rounded at the ends.

The attached photo is off the Sebring Alpine. I don't think the bracket is correct.

Steve

Last edited:

Limey

Donation Time
Thanks for the info Steve. I have an original guide for reference and still hope to get an original HLM oil cooler somehow as I am aiming for period accuracy. The suspending strap brackets if not available would be easy to fabricate from an accurate drawing if I could get one. I'll have to chat with the Harrington club members and see if I can get some help.

Best regards,

Oliver

Limey

Donation Time
set the harrington cooler next to the one available now and they look identical .they were probably off the shelf itemsin the sixties.

Do you mean the one available from Moss? If so I'll get over there and have a look. How many rows and what dims where the original HLM coolers? Do you know?

Many thanks for your help on this.

Best regards

Oliver

Harrington Jan

Donation Time
Thanks for the info Steve. I have an original guide for reference and still hope to get an original HLM oil cooler somehow as I am aiming for period accuracy. The suspending strap brackets if not available would be easy to fabricate from an accurate drawing if I could get one. I'll have to chat with the Harrington club members and see if I can get some help.

Best regards,

Oliver

Hi Oliver,
I'm ready. Send me a mail, to sunbeam.harrington@swipnet.se and I'll ty to help you.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Here's a better shot of a cooler I have.

I was going to mention in the illustration you'll notice the cooler has mounting tabs top and bottom. However, on the four coolers I have all have the tabs removed from one side. So, the Mocal is not all that different. (Not all my coolers are from Harringtons but they are the Rootes coolers that were offered).

I was also going to mention the brackets on the Sebring car. I thought they were wrong. Well, they probably aren't from the Rootes kit but may very well be correct for the Sebring car. I am not positive since I believe the brackets in the photo puts a good bit of stress on the oil cooler mounting tabs and they could fracture. On the other hand, I don't remember seeing four drilled holes as you would need to mount the straps in the Tuning Guides installation. (I don't see the holes in the photo either)

Steve

Last edited:

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
All of mine are similar so I would assume they are the Rootes items. One was from a Harrington and the others were on race cars. The Sebring car was similar, too. I can't recall the manufacturer... I will look tonight but it is something like "Coventry XXXXXX"

Steve

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Here's a few images. The Cooler was made by Coventry Radiator and pressings.

Gotta believe they were used on many other cars so you might find one at a jumble.

Steve

Last edited:

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
For what it's worth, Coventry Radiator & Pressworks is still in business, albeit under a new name - Covrad Heat Transfer Ltd. - and they still make radiators.

http://covrad.onyxnet.co.uk/WebPages/Index.htm

You might want to drop them a line - who knows, they still may have the plans for that item and could do a limited production run. From their website:

COVRAD also manufacture 'special' cores in copper/brass or aluminium for specific one off customer requirements, again on an overnight basis.

Limey

Donation Time

Hi,
What is 'the one available now' to which you refer that is identical. Do you have a link or a makers name. is it round ended as per the HLM pics posted?

Many thanks for all your help.

Oliver

65beam

Donation Time
once this cooler is in place ,you either have to stand on your head to see it or leave your radiator out in order to see it . personally i would rather use a new part for replacement since i don't like to reuse something 45 years old and risk losing the motor .i have bouight new ones from moss .check out their catalog for mga's

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
To Limey:

Let us know when you succeed to make them reproduce the oil cooler in original style. We´ld also take a few sets...