• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Oil Cooler Hoses for SV

JConstable

Donation Time
All,
Any idea where to get replacement oil cooler hoses for an SV? Along the same lines, does anyone know the size designation of the oil cooler fittings? The threads on the cooler itself and the jam nuts are damaged and need to be sent through a die/tap to clean them up. The threads are nothing I can find around here and the standard response appears to be "we can cut them off and braze on new american fittings." Of course this misses the point that the other end of the hose still needs to have the correct threading.

My guess is that the threads are British Standard Whitworth or British Standard Fine, but a call to Rick at SS left the question unresolved. Any and all help would be appreciated.

John

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
John:

I think you'll find that the threads are 1/2" BSP (British Standard Pipe) threads. I ordered a new MoCal oil cooler for my Series I race car from Pegasus Racing with 1/2" BSP threads and it worked just fine.

Good luck,

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
It is possible to have some made up at a hydraulics shop. Make sure that the 90 degree bend radius on the hose is the same as there is not much space from the frame.

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
I had mine done in a hydraulics shop (Serie V). The shop had the fittings on stock. They hoses look almost like the originals, but a bit more shiny ..

JConstable

Donation Time
Thanks for the replies. On the hydraulics shop side, they were pretty uninterested in my business - I was reminded that in America we use American fittings. My guess is they we not particularly interested in solving my particular problem. I appreciate the heads-up on the fitting bend radius as I could see myself missing this detail. On the 1/2 inch BSP side, if I understand correctly, a 1/2 inch BSP has an outside diameter (at the widest thread point) of ~0.825 inches. As I can measure no noticable taper in the pipe, I should be able to order 1/2 inch BSP parallel (BSPP) and it should thread right on? At least now I know what to look for rather than walking into a shop and saying "can you match this?" Thanks for the help.

John

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
For another project, I was able to buy some BSP fittings over-the-counter at Kimball-Midwest, an auto parts wholesaler. This was for fuel fittings, not oil/hydraulic -- but it's at least a lead...

Ken

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
For the external threads on the cooler, if they're not too bad and you only need to dress them up, you might consider a thread file. They work pretty well, and have multiple thread pitches on each file. They even make one in BS/Whitworth.

499.jpg

nickraymond

Donation Time
Be very careful with new hoses, I bought some that weren't up to scratch and the rubber wasn't good enough. (These were from a UK company) and they trapped shut, knocking the Big ends out.
Make sure when they come out of the cooler they're not goose necking too much or you might have problems when they get warm.

Nick