• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

OIl Cooler fittings frozen

dwolff706

Donation Time
Hi All,
I have a 67 SV and am stuck in the dissasembly process. Any suggestions on how to remove the fittings (1" and 1.25"), I can't get them to surrender on either end.

Wasn't sure if heating with a torch would be ok...
Thanks,
D

Well then, I will try harder!

Last edited:

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Fire definitely bad. Been there, done that, and got the pieces of a cooler to prove it.

The threaded ends are soldered on. Or, at least they were before I tried heating the nuts to get them off. But, I had used lots of penetrating oil and a pretty big-assed wrench without success, so I am not sure if anything else was going to do the trick either. I guess it depends on whether or not you want to keep the cooler.

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
Make sure your wrenches are fitting the nut and the stationary fitting nut snug. Then hold pressure on the one that needs to turn and have a helper give it a good whack with your favorite Chevy wrench. Good solid impact will break it loose easier then just pulling on the wrench.

dwolff706

Donation Time
thanks all

got them broken free, rubber mallet came through right before I was going to reach for the dead-blow...

Thanks for the sage advice
D