• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Offy Manifold and Holley carb

JMSiragusa

Gold Level Sponsor
Is the addition of the offy manifold and holley carb a simple bolt on modification or is there more to it? Is a new cam required? What else would one need?

I have not ever rebuilt an engine and want to know if this is doable for a novice, or does this modification require an engine building expert.

Thank you in advance for any responses and information.

I want to get an idea of what I am in for before I go hunting for a manifold.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi JM,

The little 2.8 V6 is a simple engine to work on, so a novice can rebuild one with a little guidance. The Offenhouser manifold is a good option for even a stock engine. It naturally performs better with a larger cam, but even a stock can works well with it. You'll get better power and mileage with it either way.

You'll find guys here that have never built an engine before, rebuild their's successfully. I highly recommend it, because you will not only .learn alot, but will have fun doing it too. If you need any help building it, just send me an email or pm and I'll be glad to help you out.

Is the addition of the offy manifold and holley carb a simple bolt on modification or is there more to it? Is a new cam required? What else would one need?

I have not ever rebuilt an engine and want to know if this is doable for a novice, or does this modification require an engine building expert.

Thank you in advance for any responses and information.

I want to get an idea of what I am in for before I go hunting for a manifold.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
What engine do you have?
If the Cologne V6, remember it is Metric.

Most of the Ofy manifolds are also.

If you purchase a used one make sure the threads are not buggered up by someone attempting to use "other" than the Metric.

DanR

JMSiragusa

Gold Level Sponsor
Dan, Jose,

Thank you for the replies, information and encouragement. A few other things might need to be done first, but the offy manifold was one I wanted to do.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Dan,

The Offenhouser manifold for the Cologne 2.8 V6, is made in the U.S., so all the threads are American standard, not metric.

If someone is buying a used one, I highly recommend having all the threaded holes Helicoiled. The aluminum used on the Offy, is not very strong, and the threads get destroyed easily. Do the helicoiling before you install the manifold, so you don't run the risk of getting aluminum chips into your engine.

What engine do you have?
If the Cologne V6, remember it is Metric.

Most of the Ofy manifolds are also.

If you purchase a used one make sure the threads are not buggered up by someone attempting to use "other" than the Metric.

DanR

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks JOse for the reminder in the threads, I have two Ofy with Metric and two with std. Several had messed up threads where PO's had made mistakes using wrong bolts. All are in good working order even though metric and std.

DanR