• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Odd seat parts

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
Taking apart a set of Ser3 GT seats, never reupholstered as far as I can tell, I came across this item.
Rubber blocks on the bottom of the seats with locating barbs on the seat frame.
And on the seat rails, these rectangular bosses for the rubber to sit on. In 30 years I have never seen this set up. My Ser4 GT seats look like all the other seats I have run across.
Anyone else come across this?

Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_5980.jpg
    IMG_5980.jpg
    480.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5981.jpg
    IMG_5981.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 74

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Here's my xtra set of seat rails for photo 1, photo 2 possibly could be..... I dunno… Maybe someone's make-do not to rub on whatever? Seat rail 1.jpg

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
Yeah Kinda odd!
If you look carefully at the rubber parts, there are pins on either side to keep it in place!

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
According to the Parts Manual, Series IV seats had a bar on the bottom of the seat frame part number 185 that is a height adjustment for the rear of the seat. I have them on my seats that I restored for my Series II Alpine.

Last edited:

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
So, looking a little more closely, I see how it all works now. A bit on the strange side.
Never seen it before. But then again, I only know Series V cars.

65beam

Donation Time
So, looking a little more closely, I see how it all works now. A bit on the strange side.
Never seen it before. But then again, I only know Series V cars.
Our series 5 has the adjustment bar. I've parted out two series 5 and they had the bar.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The series 3-V cars have the 2 position height adjustment.. Always amazed to see how many long term owners are not aware of it.
It makes a BIG difference for longer legs.. Much more comfortable in the lower position and lots more room for knees to clear steering wheel.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Lol I've shown guys who've had their cars for 30 years that they have a height adjustment .
Probably a little more room for that tavern tumor to clear the steering wheel in the low position too.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Indeed. Alpines were one of the very few cars to have 3-way adjustable seats back in the day: height, rake and depth. I can’t think of another who had that. Combine that with an adjustable steering wheel and dimmable indicator lamps and it was probably the most advanced cockpit of any car of the time.

65beam

Donation Time
Indeed. Alpines were one of the very few cars to have 3-way adjustable seats back in the day: height, rake and depth. I can’t think of another who had that. Combine that with an adjustable steering wheel and dimmable indicator lamps and it was probably the most advanced cockpit of any car of the time.
We take these items for granted now . Pretty much standard on all vehicles along with power windows, power door locks, power mirrors and the list goes on. Sunbeam did have an optional dealer installed A/C unit for the Arrow range after the end of the series Alpine production.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Morris Minors has a similar height adjustment - via twisting rubber blocks - but they lacked rake adjustment.