• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Odd Noise

skywords

Donation Time
While driving my Series II I get a odd noise abve 2800 rpm. It almost sounds as if it is coming from the tach. It is a very metallic high pitch shrill similar to the noise you get when turning a piece of stainless on a lathe and the surface speed is a tad to high. Is it possible it is coming from the tach and has anyone heard this themselves? At first I thought it to be a wind whitsle.

On another note the car has always steered like a mac truck, I always blamed the smaller steering wheel but after removing the 1.5" of toe in, lubing all the moving parts and last but not least filling the steering box with oil it now steers as beautiful or better than my Series I. Now if I can find the Keebler elf that is playing the flute above 2800, the car will be fit. Any thoughts are appreciated.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
While driving my Series II I get a odd noise abve 2800 rpm. It almost sounds as if it is coming from the tach. It is a very metallic high pitch shrill similar to the noise you get when turning a piece of stainless on a lathe and the surface speed is a tad to high. Is it possible it is coming from the tach and has anyone heard this themselves? At first I thought it to be a wind whitsle.

On another note the car has always steered like a mac truck, I always blamed the smaller steering wheel but after removing the 1.5" of toe in, lubing all the moving parts and last but not least filling the steering box with oil it now steers as beautiful or better than my Series I. Now if I can find the Keebler elf that is playing the flute above 2800, the car will be fit. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Hi Rick,

If your Series II has a mechanical tach, that is driven by a cable, it sounds like the cable might need lubing.

Jose:)

skywords

Donation Time
I'll give that a go, though I have never heard a tach cable scream for mercy like that. Thanks Jose

Nickodell

Donation Time
Rick, go easy on the lube as many a tach and speedo has been ruined by excess oil migrating up the cable by the rotation. The merest dampening should be enough. Some people use dry lube.

skywords

Donation Time
Rick, go easy on the lube as many a tach and speedo has been ruined by excess oil migrating up the cable by the rotation. The merest dampening should be enough. Some people use dry lube.

I'll take that advise becuase I tend to overdo things.

skywords

Donation Time
Well I removed the tach and the tach cable. Cable was nicely lubed. The instrumentation in the car has been overhauled or new recently. Thanks Bill! I disassembled the tach and it is fresh as a daisy. The noise is not from the tach I now believe it is firewall forward my guess being the gen bearings. I know some of you sharper types would not have had so much trouble diagnosing this. But I am almost deaf from years of jet and recip noise.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Rick, have you tried standing by the engine, bonnet up, while someone runs it up to "screech" revs? If it is the gen bearing you will be able to pinpoint it with the stethoscope that I know you will have. Other possibilities would be a water pump bearing or even the fan belt. I had an MG TD whose belt would shriek above a certain speed, and had to be doped with special belt dressing every few hundred miles to get rid of it.

skywords

Donation Time
Rick, have you tried standing by the engine, bonnet up, while someone runs it up to "screech" revs? If it is the gen bearing you will be able to pinpoint it with the stethoscope that I know you will have. Other possibilities would be a water pump bearing or even the fan belt. I had an MG TD whose belt would shriek above a certain speed, and had to be doped with special belt dressing every few hundred miles to get rid of it.

Would that be Nitrate or Butyrate dope? Just kidding. I have run the engine numerous times and have not heard it even above 2800. I think your right about the stethoscope. I don't own one I have always just used the screwdriver to the ear trick. It would be a good investment. A lot of music going on under the bonnet. Its like trying to hear the third Violinist in the back row while the orchestra in playing.