• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

OD

skywords

Donation Time
I may need my head examined but I bought an OD and tranny core on ebay. It must be a real boat anchor for no else bid on the thing. It is attached to a non sychro tranny and I am wondering can the input shaft be transplanted into my late series tranny that I love so dearly? This is after the OD is rebuilt or at least inspected and repaired as necessary. Any thoughts?

alpine_64

Donation Time
this is weird, i had answeredthis thread and it vanished.. odd.. anyway.. again:

You can't use the Non-sync shaft in the sync trans. However you can splice the non-sync and full sync together, that being said make sure the original main shaft is not twisted, as they have this reputation. Also if you do this i would be careful how hard you drive it.

check the mainshaft is good and planetery gears,. If you need parts for a D-type OD dorp me a PM.

skywords

Donation Time
Roger that.
I don't know when I will get around to playing with this thing. The Quad 4 is taking all my time at the moment. Has anyone thought of having new shafts machined for the sync trannys? With todays machining equipment it should not be to difficult. Problem being one must have one to copy

alpine_64

Donation Time
Rick,

I looked into that a few years back when i bought a beautiful D type OD unit and adaptor plate, yet had no mainshaft to install it. Seems to be an expensive exercise.. and yes.. a sample is not that easy to come by.

Pumpkin

Donation Time
I installed my trnsmission non-syncro, and ran for a little while, I got used to the non pretty quick. Of course years ago I had the non in the car. then installed like new full. Yes what a difference. :) But I'll give the difference for the OD..:D
My 2.p
Chuck

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
I may need my head examined but I bought an OD and tranny core on ebay. It must be a real boat anchor for no else bid on the thing. It is attached to a non sychro tranny and I am wondering can the input shaft be transplanted into my late series tranny that I love so dearly? This is after the OD is rebuilt or at least inspected and repaired as necessary. Any thoughts?

I believe the seller is a member. As far as the price, I think as the OD's have started coming out of the woodwork, and those wishing to have them are finding rebuilt full syncro units, although pricey, they are a no hassle in and done deal.
Instead of worrying, be glad. I REALLY considered bidding myself.