• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

OD wiring

B

bobbyg

What is the purpose of the two switchs on the front of the gear shift column tunnel? The switchs on either side are identical and each have 4 flat wire electric connections. The OD wire diagram has 2 wires connecting a "gearbox switch"; are these switchs "gearbox switchs" and why are there 2 of them and why do they have 4 wire connections? Thanks in advance, Bob

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
One is for the OD, the other would be for reverse lights.
Put the trans in 3rd or 4th gear and check for continuity in both switches, you'll find the one for OD, then of course put the tranny in reverse and you should get contact in the other switch.

Pumpkin

Donation Time
OD wires

On the tranny ( I just went through this one) The unit on the left side ,, drivers, is the OD Switch, the one on the right side is the reverse. The 4 connects on the OD unit is an oddball, I have one that currently am replaceing. (Don't ask don't tell). The replacement one has a 2 wire hook up. As you are wiring just attach to one connect on each side of the switch, Don't worry about the other connections.

One side is hot and one side is cold, and they really don't care which is which, Test them before ou put the tranny in..Just make sure you have continunity when the switch is pressed.
There you go..
CHuck

B

bobbyg

Jeff & Chuck
Thanks for the information that is what I needed to know. i will test the switchs tommorrow and make sure they are working.
Take care , Bob

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
Bob
This job is ahead of me in a few weeks time.
I have heard that the OD switch can prensent problems after some years of duty. Wearing down the pin at the end, the actual hub, will lead to not switching when it should, because it is to short... Effect is that you whant be able to go into '5th gear' while driving.
The hub/depth/stroke of the pin can be adjusted by the 'washer' under the switch, controlling the position into the housing.
Andy

Pumpkin

Donation Time
switch

Bob
This job is ahead of me in a few weeks time.
I have heard that the OD switch can prensent problems after some years of duty. Wearing down the pin at the end, the actual hub, will lead to not switching when it should, because it is to short... Effect is that you whant be able to go into '5th gear' while driving.
The hub/depth/stroke of the pin can be adjusted by the 'washer' under the switch, controlling the position into the housing.
Andy

Hey Andy, removal of a washer may help. but mine ain't got no stinkin washer.. I think I have 2 switches that are old and worn out contacts. So I may get a new one from ole Rick in the bay..

Chuck

Pumpkin

Donation Time
switch

Just give it a quick spot of wire from a mig welder to lengthen the post.

HA HA :D even.. Probably blow the switch to smithereens and start a fire. Or even better cause a good short in the dang switch it's self..

Good idea though.. have a new one coming fro Ricko!!

Then I will have 3 yes three switchs..:p
Cheers Jeff.
Chuck

Pumpkin

Donation Time
OD wires and switches

I just found after a whole lot of testing and perplexing,, THe switch may operate under a test meter good. What I found was the lever would move slightly away from the switch, thus taking the OD out of working, If I hold the lever over the switch makes contact.

Driving down the road the vibration moves the lever all by it's self, then the awcraps come out...

Any suggestions on a fix, with out taking the transmission out to get to the shift tower? Also I have removed part of the hump in the floor to acess the switch..
frustrated chuck:mad: :( :confused: :eek:

phatt

Donation Time
overdrive switch

On the tranny ( I just went through this one) The unit on the left side ,, drivers, is the OD Switch, the one on the right side is the reverse. The 4 connects on the OD unit is an oddball, I have one that currently am replaceing. (Don't ask don't tell). The replacement one has a 2 wire hook up. As you are wiring just attach to one connect on each side of the switch, Don't worry about the other connections.

One side is hot and one side is cold, and they really don't care which is which, Test them before ou put the tranny in..Just make sure you have continunity when the switch is pressed.
There you go..
CHuck

I have two series V four speeds and both have the reverse switch on the drivers side. Is this correct? Were the switches moved to the right because reverse is to the right on a series V? Thanks

Pumpkin

Donation Time
switch

I have two series V four speeds and both have the reverse switch on the drivers side. Is this correct? Were the switches moved to the right because reverse is to the right on a series V? Thanks

You have a full-srynco transmission. (I just removed) Then on the left side the reversing light switch is correct, If you have an overdrive in either,, The OD switch will be opposite of that .. A non-syncro transmission willbe opposite..
If you have the switch out,,"Is your transmission on the floor?" Put your finger in the hole,,gently,,GENTLY, move the gear lever to either position,second or reverse,,you will feel the contact of the assembly come in contact of your finger. You will then know which gear ,, is for the right switch..

Good luck
Chuck