• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

OD... where to start???

finally

Donation Time
I have OD on my early Series 2 but haven't figured out how to use it yet. Want to start the trouble shooting now so gonna need a little guidance.

I flip the switch up and down - nothing happens. First of all, which is on and off - up or down? What are the rules for turning on & off? Out of gear? Only when stopped? or...?

Then where should I start trouble shooting?? Plan to go to the invasion next year and definitely think it would be better to have the OD running in order to get there from Delaware!

Thanks!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have OD on my early Series 2 but haven't figured out how to use it yet. Want to start the trouble shooting now so gonna need a little guidance.

I flip the switch up and down - nothing happens. First of all, which is on and off - up or down? What are the rules for turning on & off? Out of gear? Only when stopped? or...?

Then where should I start trouble shooting?? Plan to go to the invasion next year and definitely think it would be better to have the OD running in order to get there from Delaware!

Thanks!

Up is out, down is in. Only works when in 3rd or 4th. The transmission output shaft is the weak link and will twist. Have not been able to determine which kills it, up shifting under full throttle or down shifting with closed throttle. In either case, the second time around, I'd do both under partial throttle. The owners manual said the shifts could be made under any condition. Well they can, but not forever.

Bill

skywords

Donation Time
When I had my Series II with OD I treated the OD like another gear and used the clutch when engaging, this might or might not be necessary but I figured it could not hurt. Like Bill says it needs to be in third or forth gear. The safety switch located at the top forward end of the OD keeps one from engaging it in reverse and disengages it when the shift lever is moved to the left. If it does not engage in third or fourth push the shift lever gently to the right and if it engages the safety switch will need adjusting. It is adjusted by adding or removing washers under it. I recommend using the service manual that SS sells for any troubleshooting. It is very comprehensive. It will tell you how to test it with the car in the garage.

Someone with more experience than I will hopefully join in and give you more and better advise than I can offer.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I you have a twisted mainshaft it wont just be the OD thats not working, so dont think thats your problem.

Check the solenoid is still working (comon issue)

Check the 'box has enough oil in it, (the OD fills seperatly)

What type of OD do you have? The non syncro first model or later all sync. The later type self cancel when moving across the 3/4 plane to 1/2.. so you have to be in 3rd 4th area to activate it, think the same for the early type bar the self cancel.

Never select OD when in reverse!

finally

Donation Time
I have no idea what type I've got. To be frank, all I know is my VIN says i have one and when I've tried flipping the switch to different positions I haven't noticed any difference. How do I check which type? VIN is B9102118LRXOD so its a Dec 1960 production.

Sounds like I need to check the oil, then switch, and the solenoid. Then of course drive some more to test! My favorite part!!

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I have no idea what type I've got. To be frank, all I know is my VIN says i have one and when I've tried flipping the switch to different positions I haven't noticed any difference. How do I check which type? VIN is B9102118LRXOD so its a Dec 1960 production.

Sounds like I need to check the oil, then switch, and the solenoid. Then of course drive some more to test! My favorite part!!

Might also want to look under the car to see if you actually have an OD box.
Just cause there is a switch does not mean you have an OD.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

The overdrive has a nameplate on it which should tell you what type it is. You will need to put your car on ramps or on a hoist to check though. I believe the Alpine's were only fitted with the 'D' type overdrive, but some have been lucky to get their hands on the later 'J' type. I think the 'J' type were a stronger unit and were fitted to Triumph's and a few other cars I believe.

Regards, Robin.